We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Lasers

2»

Comments

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,240 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    The wavelength of the laser is the key, they use something around 1070 nm which is heavily absorbed by iron oxide but predominately reflected by steel hence the rust is vapourised and the base is unimpacted. Obviously a high power continuous laser held in place for a couple seconds will burn the metal too but for cleaning rust most are lower powered pulsing options are used giving the same instant burn of the iron oxide but more time before the steel is damaged from heating.

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,135 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    So who is going to put their money where their mouth is & buy one?

    Life in the slow lane
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,234 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    The question is who can justify buying one? Seen a few youtubers but I think they got free units from the manufacturer
    or the units were only supplied for review and returned.

    Slow and difficult to get into corners and may still need blasting or dipping to remove the rust it misses. A lot of speciality
    blasting media available these days that can remove rust without damaging good metal which is probably safer than
    using a laser.

    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

  • Baldytyke88
    Baldytyke88 Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    I have seen a few videos of lasers being used for other things, such as removing graffiti

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,240 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Professionals who make their living from it and can offset the cost against their revenue plus the occasional hobbiest who is willing to spend silly money on stuff they like. Some of the hobbyists will also be surprisingly normal people not just the ultra wealthy… the one person I know with a £40,000 projector is a refuse collector with a single truck that he operates himself 6 days a week.

  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I'd love one!

    If I were 30 years younger I'd definitely buy one, but now I really don't have a use for it, and it would be just something else for my executor to dispose of (along with those Lidl power tools that I couldn't resist and have only used once or twice…)

    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.