We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Chromebook support ended
Yesterday a message appeared on my Chromebook to say that support was ending. This wasn't a surprise as I knew about this when I bought the machine.
The message had a link to learn more. In the link it was explained that I could continue to receive support but that it would be at the expense of running Android apps and Play Store, with existing Android app being uninstalled.
I intend to forgo the support and retain the apps. I haven't done anything yet but Play Store has disappeared with numerous apps.
Please can someone explain what has happened and how I return my machine to my intended course of action.
Comments
-
Before doing anything drastic, I’d suggest opening Gemini and asking it about this specific Chromebook issue.
Give it the exact Chromebook model, ChromeOS version and what you see under Settings → About ChromeOS → Additional details. Also tell it that the Play Store and Android apps disappeared even though you intended not to opt into extended updates.
Gemini should be able to tell you whether this is the recent ChromeOS issue affecting some older Chromebooks, rather than assuming you accidentally selected extended support.
I certainly wouldn’t start powerwashing or doing USB recovery until you’ve established exactly what state the Chromebook is in.
1 -
This is a Auto Update Expiration issue, that normally applies to Enterprise or Education Chromebooks.
Basically, the administrator can either pin the notebooks to a specific version or enable extended updates to happen automatically.
(If you don't have an Enterprise or Education Chromebook and if it was released 2021 or later then extended updates are turned on. Alternatively app developers can choose for apps to be removed automatically)
0 -
Has it effectively overwritten the OS with Chrome OS Flex?
No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
