We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
No Hard Search?
I took out a new credit card, a little under 2 months ago, and it has now appeared on my Clearscore file.
However, Clearscore is not showing any Hard Searches.
Don't banks perform a Hard Search, before issuing a credit card?
Comments
-
Usually, but it's not mandatory. A bank you already had a relationship with?
Any chance that the search(es) are showing on another Credit Reference Agency's report?
0 -
Yes, a bank I've been with for 27 years.
Haven't checked the other CRAs yet.
0 -
"a bank I've been with for 27 years"
so instead of a credit search they've looked at the history of how you have handled your account with them and obviously were happy with what they saw.
also not every bank/company reports to every agency. some will Experian, others Transunion, etc.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.” Nellie McClung
⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅0 -
…and sometimes even if they report to a particular CRA, they don't use that CRA for hard checks (perhaps only soft checks).
Presumably there is a cost and efficacy calculus behind such decisions made by a bank or financial institution as to which of the CRAs they use for which particular services.0 -
My last employer (not a bank) was charged £1 for each time reports were requested from both experian and transunion. I know the bank I used to work for previously would also be charged but no idea how much. I think the volume of requests would factor in to what deal they got but even a penny a time would be factored in to the cost of doing business.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.” Nellie McClung
⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


