We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

RAC service offering

Surrey1966
Surrey1966 Posts: 20 Forumite
10 Posts

Hi, has anyone used the car servicing offering that RAC suggest on their app? It's way cheaper than a normal garage/service place and the service takes place at a home address - it is also offering a MOT money-back guarantee - (with Ts&Cs and exclusions) sounds too good to be true!

Any feedback on this service would be much appreciated :)

Comments

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,349 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 28 August at 2:27PM

    What do they include in the service?

    Is it like the garage offer or enough that you are happy with it?

    Found it, to me it doesn't look as thorough or a good price, choosing a garage can come cheaper. But then they are working on a driveway and don't have access to a ramp.

    Could be wrong but much of that I can do and I'm an old lady. I do the bits I can then have the individual bits I can't access done.

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • Surrey1966
    Surrey1966 Posts: 20 Forumite
    10 Posts

    hi thanks for your thoughts- I have no idea about cars, I’ll go for my normal car

    IMG_3986.png

    provider with traditional ramp etc

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,934 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 28 August at 3:14PM

    It's way cheaper than a normal garage/service place …

    I don't know where you usually go or what you drive, but "Book My Garage" is offering me servicing and an MoT starting at around £220.

    https://bookmygarage.com

    … and the service takes place at a home address

    The main drawback with mobile mechanics is that if they hit a problem that needs a workshop, they don't have one.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 3,383 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 29 August at 1:40PM

    What is an oil upgrade, the right spec oil is what should be used, ie semi synthetic or fully synthetic. All I see is oil and filter for £235. Buy a £15 OBD2 scanner and you could save £85 off that price.

    I took out a 3 year plan with Peugeot for my car, 3 services.

    1st year, Oil & Filter + pollen filters, I do the air filter myself.

    2nd year, Oil & Filter + pollen filters, I do the air filter myself.

    3rd year, Oil & Filter, I will change the other two myself.

    £531.80

    I use a £47.50 was on offer, does more than a basic obd2 reader.

    Used to reset service lights, set brakes to service mode, regen on a diesel.

    2026 Kingbolen Ediag Elite Car OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Tool Lifetime Free Update

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.