We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Cancelled car deal, or my reasons valid?
Sat with a car salesman at a main dealer to buy a new car. I asked for a service pack and extended warranty but was told neither were available (although have since found out they are). I wasn't offered the current deal they have running on the vehicle I was buying.
Salesman glossed over the PCP agreement, didn't explain interest (although I had asked for 0% with no answer) didn't explain the balloon payment. Kept saying he would need to speak to a manager, came back, fiddle some sliders, no idea what he was doing.
I (stupidly) paid a £250 deposit but was given no terms
When I asked for a printout of the order and pcp agreement was told "We will email".
The next day I got cold feet, rang the salesman and cancelled. I asked if I could cancel and receive my deposit refund and was told yes. Since then I have heard and received nothing?
Was I within my rights to cancel and can I claim back my deposit? If not at least I will now understand the process and what not to do.
Comments
-
Did you sign anything? What did it say?
You'd definitely have a reasonable complaint with management if the salesman did such a bad job explaining the deal to you though.
In future don't pay a deposit or sign anything until you're 100% happy. Companies tend to be more responsive getting money than returning it.1 -
You have a 14 day cool off period with the PCP. You will most likely struggle to get the £250 back.
if you are sure, phone the finance company and cancel it.0 -
Never received anything, never signed anything.
0 -
Canceling finance does not cancel purchase of car, just the method of payment.
Life in the slow lane2 -
Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015:
- Section 2: Defines your position as a consumer.
- If a dealership attempts to retain a deposit or enforce a contract after a finance application fails (and the agreement was conditional on finance), they are in breach of contract-formation rules. You are legally entitled to a full refund of any holding deposit under standard unfair contract terms rules (Part 2 of the CRA).
I suspect you may have some pressure from the dealer who is unlikely to return your deposit back, if is was not clearly state subject to finance. I know of a few people who went this route after signing the paper work. If the finance fails then they going to have a tough time in court claim the deal was not subject to finance. I suspect most deal will accept this and move on.
0 -
Re-read the OP. None of that applies in this situation.
0 -
So you shouldn't have a contract they can hold you to. Did they give you a timeline for the refund to be given? Or any evidence that a deposit was paid or to be returned?
I think you'll be ok, if you haven't signed any new car order, then they shouldn't have placed it and there's no loss to them. Not that it'd have started production by the next morning anyway.0 -
Did you actually say you were cancelling or just ask if you could cancel?
0 -
you can cancel the finance and purchase within 14 days but most likely will not get your deposit back
0 -
Finance yes (legal right). Car as in person purchase. All depends on retailer (No legal right)
Life in the slow lane0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards