We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

HELP!!! Panic on internal cracks in walls & insurance!

Donkey48
Donkey48 Posts: 6 Forumite
Second Anniversary First Post
edited 28 August at 1:21AM in Insurance & life assurance

Hi, hoping someone can urgently assist as the insurance is due for renewal on 01/09/26 !!

I have arranged my parents home insurance for them and due for renewal imminently & I realise this is left to the last minute!

On going round to their house yesterday to discuss the renewal, I noticed a very long diagonal crack in the internal stair wall through the wallpaper, poss around 3-4ft long, as well as other internal cracks (the latter I would deem more cosmetic). It is this larger one which concerns me. I am unable to arrange a structural surveyor to review within the next 2 days.

I am also unable to renew the cover due to the SOF which declares no cracks etc.

I had a read through on here and the advice seemed to be to notify insurers of the cracks so that the policy would not be voided due to non disclosure. I duly contacted them this afternoon & advised this was notification only for SOF renewal purposes and no claim as I wanted to arrange my own structural survey.

call handler asked me to confirm yes or no, whether there was any signs of subs, landslip etc, which they went on to say meant cracks or bulging floors/walls. I obviously had to say yes due to the wall crack (having told her at the beginning it was the reason for my call !). She then went on to tell me (after spending time away to confer with a colleague I preseum) that they would be unable to offer renewal terms & would be lapsing the policy effective renewal date in a few days time.

I am unsure now how to proceed as there is this long crack & others which I would have to declare at the time of a new policy with another insurer. If it is Subs, the new insurers may not cover but we won't know this until any survey has been completed. What to do??

a) put in a claim now a few days before renewal for possible subs ? I understand from reading on here that the current insurer would therefore be unable to lapse the cover whilst an ongoing subs claim is in motion?

b) find a new insurer who will accept the crack & apply appropriate terms with/without subs cover at an increased premium?

Slightly panicking now that I've opened a box of worms at the most inconvenient time & any urgent advice or guidance appreciated!

«1

Comments

  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Do your parents have legal protection with their home insurance?

    If yes you could call them up and ask about your options on the matter if they deal with this sort of thing.

    Put up some photos of the issue from the indoor and outdoor area on here and more knowledgeable people than me will give a better opinion on how to proceed.

    I think you may have left too late to get insurance but if you do I think it will be very expensive.

    Read your t & c about subsidence or put a copy on here.

  • Donkey48
    Donkey48 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Second Anniversary First Post

    Thanks Boohoo,

    Yes, my parents have legal cover but I have checked the wording and there is an exclusion for subs cover so I would hazard a guess they would use this to not offer any advice in this area?

    I will get some pics asap & put on here as you suggest but have screenshot the subs cover details below. Sorry the copy wordings are crazy large, but it won't let me downsize !

    image.png image.png image.png
  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Thanks for that.

    I didn't know wether legal protectioncould give you advice about a claim and if they claim will the current insurance company still cover you when the policy has expired and would they carry on the cover due to ongoing claim.

    You say interior wall cracks, have you checked exterior walls?

    If you can I would tear/strip the wall covering where the cracks are about 6 inches either side of the gaps to see the extent of the holes.

    Take photos of the areas before you remove the coverings and after incase the insurance company needs proof.

    No idea of your parents age but ask them when or if they notice these or another cracks in their home.

  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    @Donkey48 I came across this website about subsidence from BIBA and it may help you understand things.

    I think there are a real organisation but just be aware.

    https://www.biba.org.uk/insurance-guides/home-insurance-guides/subsidence/

  • Donkey48
    Donkey48 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Second Anniversary First Post

    Thanks for this. Parents are older - 75 & 80.

    The large crack on the stairs appeared this summer although there have been a number of the smaller cracks along ceiling and tops of walls but it was assumed they were really just cosmetic. Unfortunately the parents do not realise the seriousness of it & are not concerned as its "not the thickness of a £1 coin" ! They are of the mindset it will all be okay in the winter when the rain will mean the ground is not as dry…

    It doesn't help that next door, and well within the 10m, is a dirty great big fir tree. The neighbour has already acknowledged his tree is possibly causing the problem

  • Donkey48
    Donkey48 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Second Anniversary First Post

    This is the crack on the stair wall & I am told in fact it is nearer 8ft !

    If anyone is able to offer guidance or has any suggestions on how to navigate this with my current insurer before renewal expiry I would be grateful :D

    image.png
  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I thought you would of got some more replies by now.

    Have you checked the rest of the house for any signs of defects inside and outs?

    Have you removed the wallpaper if there is any to get a better look?

    As you are near the end of the policy date and you may not get covered anywhere else I would put in a claim for subsidence and see if the current insurer will still extend cover.

    You could call BIBA and get some advice about your issue.

    Does your parents have building and contents together or separate insurance companies?

    Not sure of legality but I would buy content insurance for when the old ends but I don't know if firms ask for any signs of subsidence or structural damage but you could do price comparison and find out and at least if you get contents insurance that's 1 thing less to worry about.

  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    https://www.intelligentinsurance.co.uk/articles/home-insurance-during-subsidence-monitoring/

    Have a look at this webpage for some advice.

    They also do home insurance but I haven't used them but they cover people where they are so house renovation and building extensions where the current insurance company won't cover.

  • Donkey48
    Donkey48 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Second Anniversary First Post

    Thanks Boohoo - sorry, your webpage didn't show. Do you mean to check BIBA? I will do that now, thanks. I'm really panicking I've left my parents in the lurch but good idea on the contents only cover. Yes, the policies currently sit together under one.

  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    The link works ok for me just a min a go.

    You could call BIBA in the link I gave yesterday.

    The other link is for intelligent insurance.co.uk and maybe search for "subsidence" on that page.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.