We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
VAT added onto final invoice
Comments
-
But if the builder is VAT-registered then the £2880 quote to the customer must already have included the VAT (which is apparently how the other builder payments were structured), thereby implying a net job price of no more than £2400?
2 -
I understand this between electrician and builder but then if the builder is VAT registered would the quote from him to us not be inclusive of VAT? Very confusing stuff haha
0 -
Yes this is what I was thinking. I have sent the electrician a message anyway so we'll see what he says.
0 -
I think you're complicating things needlessly. Just pay the builder what's owed for the electrical work, and let the electrician know you've done so. No need to be querying VAT or second-guessing how the price was arrived at. You were given a quote, the work was done, pay the builder. Job done.
1 -
But when you contacted the electrician to tell him that you wanted to pay him directly, did you explain to him that the builder had quoted £2880 and that that was all you were going to pay?
0 -
This ^
I suppose the relationship with the builder has broken down and perhaps the electrician may not want to cancel his invoice to the OP.
I don't understand what problem was being overcome by paying the electrician directly…
0 -
Me neither, but I wonder if it's because OP doesn’t trust the builder to pass on payment to the electrician, and it sounds like good relations with the electrician are needed so that the few outstanding bits are finished.
0 -
No, I asked for him to update the quote with the new fuseboard price (additional work that only came to light during kitchen electrics).
I had no reason to say I was only going to pay the £2880 the builder had quoted as I didn't think the kitchen amount would be different. Just the extra charge for the fuse board.
0 -
And what did the 'updated quote' show - VAT inclusive?
The problem you have is builder gave you the original quote not the electrician.
0 -
So the electrician did additional work over and above what the builder quoted for?
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
