We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Lifestyle Vouchers gone out of date
Hi, I earned a significant amount of these vouchers as a reward in another job. When I changed jobs, I forgot about them for a while. When I went back to check my account, the value was zero and the vouchers were marked as gone out of date. I chased this with Lifestyle and thankfully they said they could recover them, but this would cost 20% of the value to cover admin costs. This amounts to over £700 in fees. I queried this, observing that someone recovering a £100 voucher would pay £20 in admin fees. Why does the value of the vouchers change the cost of the admin? I'm sure the admin process is the same whether it is a £1 voucher or a £1000 voucher? Are they allowed to do this? Any help appreciated
Comments
-
Sounds like they hold all the cards here - unless there's anything in the Ts & Cs that states otherwise, you're at their mercy when it comes to goodwill gestures if you're effectively holding valueless expired vouchers, and they don't have to justify their stance, so probably better to view it as 80% of something being much better than 100% of nothing?
Edit: if it's this company, you wouldn't appear to have a leg to stand on?
4. Gift Card Expiry
Other than as set out in 14, below, life:style Gift Cards and Gift Card Codes automatically expire 18 months from the date of purchase. It is the Recipient's responsibility to redeem the Gift Card(s) through the Redemption process within 18 months of the date of purchase. After expiry, the card, Reference Number, Security Code and Gift Card Code will become void and Redemption cannot be performed. Upon expiry, no refund of any unspent funds will be due to you.
https://www.lifestylegiftcards.co.uk/terms
unless there are any realistic prospects of pursuing them on the basis that such terms are unfair…
0 -
What were the terms of these vouchers?
if they expired did the T&Cs say they could be recovered for 20% of the face value or for a flat fee?
If they were expired and the T&Cs didn't allow for recovery perhaps you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth…
3 -
If the terms shown above are the ones that apply, then I'd take their offer of 80%.
Have they responded to your query? Be careful that pushing it too far doesn't see their offer withdrawn.
1 -
You are lucky that they’re offering you at anything at all. Other retailers do say that once they’ve expired that is it.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.
Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.0 -
Sounds like you're lucky to get anything at all - once they've expired they don't need to assist in any way.
If you annoy them they might well just ignore you and refuse to help, so I'd take their offer.
0 -
I would bite their hand off.
Always spend vouchers immediately! Otherwise you are at the mercy of their T&Cs.
You forgot about £3500 of vouchers so you still get £2800 back when in reality you are entitled to £0.
Enjoy spending them!!
Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')
No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)1 -
This isn't that uncommon. I've had the same with Virgin Experiences and Red Letter Experiences - my in-laws started "collecting" some for big events, and didn't realise they went out of date. We contacted them about some of the expired ones, and they offered for us to pay 20 - 25% to reactivate the vouchers.
There's no legal requirement for them to extend at all, so it's really a choice about whether you want to pay £700 to retain £3500; or if you want to consider the £3500 lost already.Signature down for maintenance :rotfl:2 -
Thanks for the advice everyone 👍🏻
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


