We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Disabled Persons Railcard questions.
After having my disabled bus pass for 17 years, I finally figured out I can use that as proof to get a Disabled Persons Railcard. Anyway, I have a few questions. How does it work when you purchase a ticket at a self-service ticket machine, and do I have to show my card with my ticket to the ticket inspector on the train?
Many thanks
Comments
-
You tell the machine you have a railcard and it will work out the discount.
You will be asked on the train to produce the railcard.
2 -
Being asked on the train can vary.
Some staff ask every person, others do a random selection.
1 -
The last self service machine I used, it's only at the end just before payment and after selecting ticket you can you add the railcard, which is unlike when you buy online when you add it before selecting ticket.
Let's Be Careful Out There1 -
Useful function of that card is that it allows 1/3rd discount on rail fares for both you and a companion.
0 -
You declare it at the point of purchase be that ticket office, machine or app. For the last two that's a case of selecting it during the purchase process.
If requested by a ticket inspector you need to show the Railcard along with the ticket.
0 -
I think its the case that if you buy at a ticket office you need to show the railcard?
0 -
Indeed.
(And for the sake of completeness of information, since nobody else has mentioned it: at the gateline you just put your ticket through the barrier. If it works as it should you won't have to do anything with the railcard. If the ticket barrier rejects your ticket you'll likely need to show both railcard and ticket to the member of staff for them to let you through.)
This is all exactly the same as for any railcard :)
0 -
Just be careful if you use Avanti West Coast App or website - I found that they did not apply the discount to the companion ticket.
I am lucky that there is a train station nearby and I got the tickets there.
0 -
Did you add "Disabled Railcard" at the prompt in the purchase stream for the second ticket, even though the companion is not the holder of the railcard?
0 -
I do not rememner any prompt - so to answer the question - no.
I do not have to do this with TFW which is the other rail company I travel on.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


