We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Salvage Retention
Last week my car was parked and was hit by a commercial heavy goods transporter.
I was not with the car but a note, with fleet management details was left.
I have sinced decided to go via my insurer as fleet management will take weeks to settle.
There is large damage to my car, namely my bumper is scuffed, rear quarter has been scuffed and rear door heavily dented, not lining up with frame, needs a new door, reverse camera has also been hit out of focus too.
My insurer has already declared it a total loss given my claim and the damage reported.
The car is a automatic 8 speed, and the car was also pushed forward from the space by the impact.
Transmission seems okay but I am aware a problem may not show this fast with it.
My insurer has given me a ballpark £3000 that at present the system says its worth, but this is just a rough quote that can go up or down.
Ive spent 4 days looking online and I cannot find a auto diesel in this price bracket that is 1) Good condition 2) Long MOT 3) FSH as mine is 4) same age or newer.
Someone has mentioned to me that I could do Salvage retention, and get paid out minus 10% and keep the car, also this will be faster to pay out I am told.
How will this work and can I do this?
I am told I am not at fault, my claim is an non fault claim.
I have been told a salvage company has been booked to collect my car next week so I have to move fast but unsure what to do and how.
I am fully comp.
Any advice would be welcome
Comments
-
From the information provided above I would say your car has been categorised as an S for structural damage. The door not lining up with the rest of the car would be my reasoning for accepting the cash settlement but I would push for more with regards it has FSH, prior to accident, was in good condition.
You could get the car repaired but the paint finish could be questionable, the new door required may fit but the clearance in doing so means more work. No faults with transmission as of yet but having been moved in the collision it could maybe surface later and another added expense. Price for the reverse camera to be sorted has to be taken into account as well.
Imo I'd provide invoices of the work done over the years for FSH and push for more money.
1 -
Try sending details of similar cars for sale to your insurance and point out the price of them. You can sometimes get them to revise their value estimate
2 -
Thank you for your comment.
I have sent them all photos of the car across, including full main dealer service history, its history is main dealer only up to 130k but the last service was done at a national auto chain.
Autotrader same car, year, its around £3500-4000 for a like for a like.
Its a 3.0 V6 Diesel, if that makes any sense.
I was hoping third party would resolve fast but they want to send a engineer, reports, and involve a solicitor, and will take 6-8 weeks for pay out.
IF I did retain salvage, will they be able to process this from the images I have sent, and do it quickly? I have sent photos of whole car, not just damage as they requested, so they could see no preexisting damage was present.
0 -
If equivalents are being advertised for £3.5k, then £3k is not exactly unreasonable as a first offer.
If the door damage is JUST the door, then nice and easy. Used door in the right colour from a breaker, get it swapped over quickly, and you're sorted.
If the pillar is bent (you don't mention any rear wing damage beyond "scuffed"), then it'd be a very different kettle of fish.4 -
Ive look at think from what can be seen the hinges are slightly bent but the pillar and surrounding body appear fine, so think a new door will be fine.
How do I now go about doing this as this isnt something Ive done before, so would like and be grateful for any input.
So far the events -
HGV hit parked car, unattended early hours of morning.
Note left by driver, giving his name, confirming the damage, that he has taken photos and time date of incident.
Also stating a ref log number that fleet management are aware.
I called fleet management, they confirm driver has reported the incident to them.
I contacted the company who had a delivery nearby from this driver, that company confirmed driver admitted hitting parked car, they give me reg of HGV.
I informed my insurer, intially as a notice only, but after speaking to fleet management I have no interest in going via them.
Called insurer back, after intial call I was sent a link to upload photos of damage.
Changed report to now a claim a few hours later intial report.
I am sent a link to co parts, theyve been instructed to collect my car in 48 hours and will be in touch to give exact time (after today)
I have emailed claims unit full main dealer history, proof of recent cambelt service costing £800.
Ive also emailed them the offical note on headed company paper 'incident notification' which states all above and also driver has ticked - Car unattended, parked, no one present with it - I am told this alone is practical admission of liability and that his GPS will pin him to to scene also.
Insurer has the fleet incident log, HGV reg, all which I gave them.
Earlier I had a message stating that my account has now been sent to third party insurers - I am told this just a copy and paste text sent at mass.
I cannot be left without a car, for any period, insurer offered Enterprise Credit Hire, after talking to them I am not interested, given the possible risks I may incur.
Call handler said the system , before I sent photos, states my car is deemed 'total loss' and that its been sent to total loss claim casework team.
Ballpark £3000 offered, told this may go up or down, I am expecting down given my miles but still at 3k I cant replace it for 3k like for like for a car with 50k more miles even.
Tomorrow I intend to contact them, ask for Salvage Retention.
What will happen?
I read online that given ive sent photos no exam will be needed of car as under 5k and that they will likely authorise payment tomorrow minus salvage fee.
Id rather this.
However, I am worried I start Salvage Retention, delay paymemt and left with a car damaged.
If thats the case and it wont be faster pay out, I may as well let them take it and get full total loss amount and hope I can buy another at that time.
I guess what I am asking, asking for Salvage retention tomorrow can my claim be dealt with tomorrow, paid and have me on my way?
I have to move fast as I am aware once co parts come, ive lost the car and getting it back will be almost impossible.
Insurer was saying they inspect it for total loss at the yard? But I read online that if I take salvage retention my photos will be enough?
If anyone can put my mind at ease tonight id be grateful as I really did not need this incident right now and I just need it gone, I will add car is used for terminal health care at hopsital, so I am told by law, insurer must act fast to resolve the claim
0 -
If you want to keep it, tell them NOW. Do not let Copart take it.
The insurer are not legally required to give you the option of keeping the salvage, unless your policy specifically states as much, but it sounds like that's an option they'll consider.
10% isn't anything more than a rough ballpark. How much it'll actually be depends on what they think it'll fetch at salvage auction.
All the rest is, as far as the claim's concerned, irrelevant. They are ONLY required to pay you a fair market value pre-collision. The cambelt makes no difference. The hospital trips make no difference. A seller advertising the car for £3.5k may well take an offer that brings it nearer the £3k mark, but feel free to submit those ads you've found to them.
What car, age, mileage, spec etc are we talking about? Let's see what we can find…2 -
If you buy the car back, then you will have to get it repaired & fund the repair. Not forgetting how are you going to get about given "I cannot be left without a car, for any period,"
As repair could take easily weeks or longer, depending on just what car it is, & how easy the parts are to source.
Life in the slow lane2 -
Jaguar XF 2014 Premium Lux, 155k miles 3.0 V6 Diesel.
I have called insurer today, theyve told me to call tomorrow as existing claims closed, so I will inform them tomorrow I wish to retain it
0 -
I have someone who has found a secondhand rear door who will unbolt it and replace, so can get it done in a few hours. Also found a new reverse camera on ebay for it
0 -
I have emailed claims unit full main dealer history, proof of recent cambelt service costing £800.
The full service history might have a small effect on the value of your car but tbh it's more likely that the valuation already assumes it, and missed services would just reduce the value.
Having had your cambelt done makes no difference. Any 12 year old car is going to have had a lot of money spent on maintaining it over the years and will have some new or nearly new parts. This is already assumed in the valuation. Certainly it's frustrating to have your car written off when you've just paid for a big ticket maintenance item, but were you to go out and buy another 2014 Jaguar to replace it, there's nothing to say that one wouldn't have a new cam belt as well, so it's not obvious that you've actually lost out. And if it didn't have a new cambelt it might be that it had a new clutch instead, whereas unknown to you yours only had a few months left in it, so what you lose with one hand you can gain with the other...
I will add car is used for terminal health care at hopsital, so I am told by law, insurer must act fast to resolve the claim
That's not correct - what you use the car for doesn't change the insurers responsibilities. But I'm any event if it's a write off then your insurer's responsibilities to you end when they transfer you the payment. Probably the quickest resolution for you would be to accept the payment, let them take the old car car away, and rush out and buy a new one. If you decide to keep the sausage and get it fixed you run the risk of it being in the garage for longer than you expected and being without a car for a long period. Fine if you think that's a low risk that you feel you can take, but be aware that if it does happen you can't go back and complain to your insurer. (Well you can try, but you won't get anywhere).
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards