We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
First World Problem ; Amazon
I purchased a lowish value item from Amazon via prime, about £15.
It was free delivery, but delivered by third party courier (Evri). The delivery tracker stated it was being delivered on a certain day, but something went wrong and it was only delivered the following day, with no new tracking alerts.
I took it in, opened the case up, and it was pretty much destroyed and unusable. This was not evident from the outside but very evident as soon as the outer parcel wrapping was opened. I have photos with the delivery labels included, showing the self evident damage.
As it was delivered outside of Amazon's network, you communicate with the vendor a bit like Ebay. They agreed the product was unusable, apologised, and said they would take it up with Evri. I replied and said they may well wish to recover their costs from Evri but that is nothing to do with me, and asked if they would either collect, refund or replace. And it has been tumbleweed since Thursday (previous replies were timely).
What are my rights here? I purchased the item via cc. Do Amazon have some responsibility? I don't really have much experience of purchasing via Amazon and having issues with items delivered directly by the vendor. It's a pretty low value item but not something I'm inclined to just let go. In case it's relevant, the delivery was a case of carbonated drinks, 12 pieces.
Thanks!
Comments
-
Was it a marketplace seller?
Link to item?
Life in the slow lane0 -
'marketplace' is in the url, so I guess so!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Relentless-Origin-Can-500-Pack/dp/B0F6NRKXFM/ref=sr_1_34?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.DOkCj1h8RFt04vi6Kg9JlNFiU1kjraMFo3--5MV73Jfj1bD1W6fXsSVJmYuAntLwVBOqCOf7NwQ2T5JmJv1uQg.W0MEsbSRFBDqsmgCDMBRZ8RZyvmf4Cmy-MLpqmbv7DA&dib_tag=se&m=A3KXITS8IY27AY&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&qid=1787475033&s=merchant-items&sr=1-34&xpid=ZuUs4eBafBjIk
-1 -
Whey you say "pretty much destroyed and unusable", had they leaked or were they just dented?
The seller looks like they just buy stuff and resell it an an insane markup in the hope someone will buy it by accident, they are selling those cans at £1.25 a can where as supermarkets sell them for £0.75-0.90 a can.
Just go to the order and raise the complaint to Amazon, stating the goods were damaged and the third-party seller is not responding. Amazon will refund you and will give the option for the seller to collect the goods.
1 -
With regard to the purchase, yes this is one of my very few vices I allow myself currently, and I had just received my home grocery delivery where they were unavailable. Asda sells them for about £3.30 for 4 but it would be two weeks until the next delivery, so I swallowed the additional fiver cost for the convenience of not having to wait another two weeks. Man maths as well, a few items from Asda were damaged but saveable, the refund offset the extra cost of the Relentless standalone purchase.
The price will of course incorporate the real cost of delivery, but this product is surprisingly uncompetitive online, I could get slightly cheaper per unit for 24, but for 12 that was as good as it gets from any retailer for a bespoke purchase, delivered. I don't usually overpay for anything, but I am autistic and let's say, I'm a person of habit. So I needed to source some one way or another!
The package was absolutely battered, cans burst and blown. I could probably save 2 or 3 cans max, the rest are deceased. I half expected a problem when the original delivery failed, who knows what happened to the case in the depot.
Thanks, I'll give them a week from the last message, then raise it with Amazon.
0 -
I like my routine as well (ADHD), it helps me function at my top level, though I avoid energy drinks like the plague, espresso for me!
Who knows what couriers do sometimes, I have before had a package returned broken where they state they do not know what happed to it and the package had a tyre print across it! In the hot weather we have had they can explode in the back of vans, or just general carelessness.
I have never not had Amazon refund me in circumstances where good were damaged, third party or Amazon themselves as sellers, if you ask them I am sure they will sort if needed.
1 -
Not that insane when you factor in that they are delivering it to your address, and the total package is >6kg.
Granted I'm a consumer so won't be getting favourable rates but checking on Evri a 5-10kg package costs £5.87 to send with their cheapest service.0 -
What are my rights here?
Pretty much as you'd expect - you're entitled to a refund or a replacement. As it's within 30 days you can reject the goods and insist on a refund if that is what you prefer. This should be paid within 14 days of you telling them about the problem - they should not wait until they're resolved their issue with Evri.
0 -
The vendor ghosted me. So I decided to try and escalate the issue to Amazon directly, I found a pathway for this eventually, although it is well hidden. Actually received a call from Amazon support, who basically told the vendor to send me a replacement via the 'Problem with order' thread.
The vendor asked for my address on the thread (obviously knew it anyway, but trying to look like they were going to comply with Amazon's instruction), said they would send it as soon as possible, and closed the 'problem with order' thread. And absolutely nothing has subsequently happened! This person is desperate to avoid resolving this, but I got to thinking that they could be planning to recover damages from Evri using my photo evidence, and hope that I would give up chasing myself (not going to happen).
0 -
This particular saga of my currently saga dominated life is coming to an end.
I went through Amazon A-Z again. As it happens, had a decent chat with an US based support agent. Explained that this supplier is deliberately stalling in my opinion, and has no inclination to actually send me a replacement delivery. He agreed, said they'll face a threat of being taken off the platform. A few days later however, Amazon have responded via email to state that they are now issuing me a refund themselves.
Amazon CX is superb. AI/chatbot to initiate the case but very easy and instant to ask for a call, and the call is pretty much immediate too. Such a contrast to the usual deflection.
3
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards