We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

sell or keep BTL?

I bought a flat in 2002, which I lived in for 2 years, then moved in with my partner. I rented it out ever since but am now at a bit of a crossroads in my life and trying to work out the best thing to do.

The rental income is currently around 10K annually but it's on an interest-only mortgage which costs around £5300. Add in agency fees (1.2K) repairs etc (£600) insurance - by the time I pay tax at 40% there is no profit at all - which I am ok with as there has been good capital growth.

I bought it for £77000 in 2002 and it's now worth around £230,240 so CGT would be huge if I did sell - did put in a new bathroom but that was around £3k many years ago so there's nothing much that can be offset.

I'm about to receive an inheritance, which would pay off the mortgage, but with all the recent legislation (and worse to come in Scotland) I wonder whether it's really worth it, from purely a financial point of view.

So is it worth paying off the mortgage and having a bit of income from it (albeit it taxed at 40%) or would I be better selling it (and CGT costs) then reinvesting in ISA's.

Thoughts welcome

«1

Comments

  • Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    ..sell…sell…..sell…!! Not much point in being a single property landlord, too much legislation, too much hassle…IMHO…

    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
  • El_Torro
    El_Torro Posts: 2,355 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    One option would be to set up a Limited Company and put the flat into that. You have to pay Capital Gains Tax and Stamp Duty, that’s where your inheritance comes in. It’s only really worth doing if you plan to stay in the BTL business for years to come.


    Ultimately it’s a personal choice. Based on your post I’d be inclined to sell.

    It also depends on what other investments you have. If you already have a decent pension and ISAs then that’s a point in favour of keeping the flat.

  • SpendingMoney
    SpendingMoney Posts: 25 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    Thanks for your comment - I hadn't thought of a Limited Company - I'm in Scotland where we have an additional buyers tax if you already own a property at 8% so am guessing that would add an extra £18k to the usual £1800 - assuming I'd pay that on the whole transaction…..

    Am a single parent in my 50's with 2 teenagers and work for the NHS, although some of it part time -so pension is ok but not great.

  • UKTaxHelper
    UKTaxHelper Posts: 79 Forumite
    10 Posts

    You lived in it for two years, so not all that gain is taxable. Those years plus the final nine months of ownership come off as private residence relief. Worth running the numbers before you write off selling.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,628 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I do not know about Scotland but the current sales market for the UK in general is rather quiet, and flats in particular are proving very difficult to shift.

    So be aware that a recent valuation from an estate agent, will maybe prove to be a bit overoptimistic and you could be in a long wait to sell.

    Of course if the flat and/or location are very desirable, then you should be OK. Otherwise might be worth hanging on until the market picks up.

    The Nationwide index for Scotland says from 2022 to 2026, house prices rose 168% . Your valuations show a rise of 200%., which of course is possible, but maybe a bit on the high side ?

  • SpendingMoney
    SpendingMoney Posts: 25 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    thanks for the comments, the market in the area is very strong (it's a bit hipster now!) and flats go very quickly at well over the "offers over" price, so I feel ok about that - there are tenants in now so I'd have to give them notice or could do it at the next changeover - my BTL mortgage is due up in May next year so could wait for the spring market.

    I bought in in 2002 for 77K, not 2022

    I've asked for a CGT calculation to help make the decision - at least I have a bit of time to decide.

  • sherlock228
    sherlock228 Posts: 181 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 26 August at 4:28PM

    CGT calculation is straightforward, for illustration I will do in years, but for HMRC it should be in months (or days if you want to ultra precise). I shall assume sold this year, using the figures you mention, and that it is in your sole name as owner.

    Ownership period: date of purchase 2002 - date of sale 2026 = 24 years
    Private residence relief (PRR): Lived in as main home: 2 years + final 9 months of ownership (whether let or vacant matters not in those 9 months or 9/12 ie 0.75 of a year) = 2.75 / 24 = 11.5%

    Gross gain
    Selling price £230,000 (less EA & legal selling fees) - purchase price £77,000 (plus any legal fees and LBTT paid on purchase) = 153,000

    Net taxable gain
    153,000 - PRR (153,000 x 11.5% = 17,595) = 135,405 less CGT personal allowance £3,000 = £132,405

    CGT payable
    You state you are already a 40% (income) taxpayer so the CGT rate will be all at the higher rate of 24% on all of the net gain, so £ 132,405 x 24% = £31,777

    Net cash after tax
    230,000 - 31,777 = 198,223
    obviously the mortgage will still need to be repaid in full from that net

  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Addressing the idea to Incorporate.

    Since the property generates just £10k per year this would seem to be a waste of time.

    You will have additional company accounting and compliance costs that will likely partially outweigh the impact of the Section 24 reduction to your income tax relief on mortgage payments, not to mention Scotland's LBTT charge on reacquiring the property in the company. You could borrow more at company level to cover the LBTT, but that impacts on the rents after tax by virtue of increased interest charges.

    The company will incur annual corporation tax at 19% on the net rentals, leaving you with a bit more income in the company than if the rents were taxed on you personally. However if you wish to access this net amount for your own use you would face higher rate dividend tax, which defeats the point of incorporation if you were seeking an increase in net rents in your pocket after income tax.

    Depending on what form incorporation takes ( wholly exchange for shares or part shares part directors loan), there maybe a nil CGT entry charge or partial as explained below-

    https://www.stratostax.co.uk/insights/capital-gains-tax-on-incorporating-a-property-business-incorporation-relief/

    A partial charge would be undesirable in generating an additional incorporation cost.

    Finally, if you are retaining your current level of mortgage funding, the liklihood is new lending will be required on slightly higher interest terms and associated fees thereon. Your current lender is unlikely to countenance novation of the exsisting loan.

    All in all not an especially advantageous option for the small single property landlord with modest rent, bearing in mind upfront liabilities and new additional running costs, and certainly not the 'no brainer' it is often presented as.

  • UKTaxHelper
    UKTaxHelper Posts: 79 Forumite
    10 Posts

    One thing on sherlock's numbers, the 24% might not cover all of it. CGT works off the UK basic rate band, not the Scottish one. So someone paying 42% in Scotland can still have room left where part of the gain only gets 18%.

  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 9,577 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 23 August at 2:21PM

    As you are thinking of selling, I would be inclined to go ahead. The CGT regime might change in future years but it's not that likely to do so. You haven't said whether you own the home you live in. If you didn't, the flat is a useful hedge against rising property prices (Conincidentally, I also own a flat that I rent out. I plan on keeping it for the long-term because I live with my partner and don't have any financial interest in her home, so the flat will either be a property I can move to or give me a hedge against rising property prices in the area if/when anything happens to her).

    If you are in good health and have healthy parents, I suggest you use the proceeds to look at buying the maximum amount of additional pension that you can within the NHS Pension scheme, and then look to invest the rest in a mixture of SIPP and ISA. You might want to take some professional financial advice at this time from a Financial Planner who can help you construct a plan to get you to your intended retirement age in the best financial shape. (My partner worked in the NHS part-time for many years and was able to buy additional pension years in the 1995 NHS Pension Scheme that meant her pension is quite reasonable now she has claimed it).

    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.