We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Neighbour dispute

Mine and my neighbour’s houses have been in our families since they were built. I now own my house, he presumably owns his parents house since they passed, he doesn’t live there, nobody does. He put the house up for sale but it’s in a very poor state of repair and no-one wanted it.

I advised him that I would be replacing the fence between us to something much more sturdy and nicer looking (currently a crappy wire thing with a small bit of hedge at one end straddling both gardens). He said this was a great idea and could I also get a quote for him to continue the same fence around the side of his property and that he was happy for them to access his property. I said I’d have to cut back his overhanging branches etc from his plants that had been planted on the boundary and asked him what we should do with the hedge and his words were “it’s your hedge, do what you like with it”. Some weeks later I said that I thought we might share the hedge and he said his nephew was currently staying at the house (he isn’t) and he would ask him what he wanted to do with it. he didn’t respond any further.

On the day of installation I told him they were coming to install it and they would be measuring up for him, he said that was great and thanked me, then he said his nephew would like to keep the hedge. By this time my fence guy had reviewed it and I told him that a large chunk of the trunk and some roots were on my side so that would have to come out and they would be cutting it back as necessary to get the fence in but leave as much as possible. He read it, didn’t respond.

2 days later he knocked on my door to tell me he wasn’t happy and that the hedge had been cut too much. I explained they’d had to cut over my boundary as he was aware but he started getting aggressive and saying that it was criminal damage and they’d trespassed on his property (they hadn’t). He said it had to be put right and he would get a quote. I reminded him he hadn’t wanted the hedge but he said that was irrelevant. I told him the hedge would grow back, again irrelevant.

He had someone in the garden tonight examining it, he reckons he’s been told that part of it has died due to it being cut (I don’t think it has but getting that verified) and the guy said the whole thing would have to be dug up and replanted as mature hedge involving diggers and all sorts (this was a very small hedge to start with)

So now he’s threatening all sorts.

I reminded him in return that he’d painted the back of my fence at the front of the property, that I hadn’t given permission and it looked horrendous. He laughed in my face and told me he could do whatever he wanted with his side of the fence (which I know isn’t true) and told’put it in writing’

I have substantial photographic and video evidence of before, after and independent expert evaluations saying the hedge will grow back, probably better. I have messages advising him of what was happening all the way along.

I am just astounded that he’s now reacting like this. He’s not a keen gardener or anything of ghd sort. His house and garden is going to rack and ruin and is all hugely overgrown and unkempt. Party why I wanted a nice sturdy fence so I didn’t have to see it anymore, plus his ‘shed’ roof kept falling in my garden.

He’s threatening all sorts now and it’s really upset me.
I know the rules on cutting to the boundary etc. it’s my boundary and the fence is actually slightly over in his favour to take account of this hedge.

I get the impression he’s planning on going ahead with the work to excavate and replant and will then just present me with the bill.

Any advice on what I should do now?

A&L charges WON - Barclaycard charges WON - MBNAx3 charges WON - Halifax charges WON
Still fighting: Next/Cabot default - Littlewoods/NDR default
«1

Comments

  • Baldytyke88
    Baldytyke88 Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    You seem like you know the rules, don't argue with him and don't pay his bill.

  • Okell
    Okell Posts: 3,931 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    This isn't a Consumer Rights question, it's to do with property.

    You should be asking on the House Buying Renting and Selling board - House buying, renting & selling — MoneySavingExpert Forum

    Alternatively try Legal Beagles - Housing, Property and Neighbours - LegalBeagles Forum

  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 2,370 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    He can present the bill all he likes, unless you agree to pay it or a court orders you to pay it then you won't be paying it.

    Do you have household legal cover as if you do, I would suggest talking to them to help allay your concerns.

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,794 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    While we all know there are 2 sides to every story what you are relating makes you sound completely rational and like you were doing your best to be a good neighbour and he has not. I'd suggest not engaging with him and that if he tries to force the issue keep your phone to hand so you can film any arguments or any unneighbourly activity.

    And I'll move this just in case others have opinions to add.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 14,497 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    What to do now? Absolutely nothing. Let him have the anxiety.

  • WIAWSNB
    WIAWSNB Posts: 3,713 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Hi P Angel.

    As others have said.

    If you do have LegProt, then call them up and explain the situation in concise, factual and non-emotive terms. At the moment, you only want their guidance on what to do if they again threaten - or actually carry out - the damage/work they are threatening.

    Well done for having a good record of the 'before' conditions, and - if you haven't already got CCTV in place - for £25 (eg Imou on eBay) I would strongly suggest it. Set the camera up conspicuously to cover the boundary hedge and fence, but at below top level so it cannot overlook.

    Then… relax. It's weird that he's gone from seemingly reasonable to bonkers, but that's some folk. You remain calm, measured, and matter-of-fact. Don't get drawn into any side-issues such as the state of his garden; this is purely about the boundary hedge/fence, and what can, and can not, be done with it.

    Q - are your houses detached or semi/terraced? For the latter, it should be 100% unambiguous where the true boundary lies, to the half-inch. For 'detached', there may be some uncertainty, so more care needs to be taken - but that applies to him as much as you. Once you have your CCTV camera up, it should record any future conversations, so be 100% rational and unemotive.

    So, in any future conversation, make it clear what has taken place, that you were entitled to do so, and that you have been assured that any cut-back will regrow better than before. Recorded. As hopefully will be his irrational response.

    Just add that if he removes and replants a hedge, that's entirely on him. Add that you have £50k of LP, and that - of course - you will defend yourself against any erroneous claim.

  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic

    Baffling? It's either some form of mental illness, or deliberate gaslighting. Neither is easy to deal with, so the best strategy is probably minimal engagement.

    The OP has knowledge, evidence, and rationality. Thus far, the neighbour has word salad.

    It's upsetting, but calling this person's bluff means disengaging and seeing if the matter quietly fades away without the food of conflict. In most cases threats don't materialise. A court is not easily fooled and reaching one isn't as easy as many imagine.

    Never believe anything until it's officially denied.

  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 11,745 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Q - are your houses detached or semi/terraced? For the latter, it should be 100% unambiguous where the true boundary lies, to the half-inch.

    It is fairly common that the front and rear garden boundaries start near the centreline of the party wall, but I wouldn't say it is ever '100% unambiguous'.

    There's no legal reason why the garden boundaries have to align with the party wall of the two houses, they can be offset by any amount someone once decided was sensible, and/or wiggle around a bit along the frontage if circumstances required.

    For one of the more obvious cases, the recent thread about a shared passageway was an example of where you might expect the boundary to align with the middle of the two houses, but in practice one of the two owned the whole of the passageway and front path leading up to it.

  • WIAWSNB
    WIAWSNB Posts: 3,713 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Fair do's.

    Q - are your houses detached or semi/terraced? For the latter, it should be 100% unambiguous where the true boundary lies, to the half-inch, if the deeds map also shows a straight boundary line emanating from the join.

    Otherwise it's only 99% unambig.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.