We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
any tips for simplifying smart phone
I just set up a new samsung a17 and there was so many questions, and apps it tried to install.
it wouldnt even let me stop it installing tiktok.
and when it was done the screen was full of icons.
all i want the phone is for calls, texts, whatsapp and a music streaming app. that is pretty much it.
id love to just go back to a nokia 105. but theres the whatsapp problem.
any ideas?
Comments
-
Just uninstall the apps you dont want (long press on them, and then Uninstall)
0 -
Have you looked into Easy Mode?
And, as above, uninstalled any remaining apps.
1 -
It's a while since I used a Samsung phone, but when I have they've always had loads of pre-installed carp that can't be removed using the normal uninstall routine.
0 -
The accessibility features on Samsung phones are well worth using -
Customize Accessibility settings on your phone or tablet
Go to Settings → Apps and uninstall TikTok and other unwanted apps. Where Samsung will not allow uninstalling a bundled app, disable it instead.
2 -
I've just set up an A17 for someone. it just went through the set up routine fairly quickly, fairly idiot proof.
It certainly didn't make me do anything with TikTok. A quick run through the apps to uninstall/hide any unwanted apps.
You could (as previously suggested) put it into 'Easy Mode' and just have your 2 or 3 apps on the Home screen.
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
A PIRATE
Not an Alcoholic...!0 -
I setup a Galaxy A36 and it did want to install some junk which I declined. I spent days turning off notifications for
apps that should never need to notify me of anything. Uninstalling apps I will never use and disabling apps that
it will not let me uninstall. Mainly all the AI rubbish.
Not as bad as a Teclast tablet where is asks if you want to install a lot of rubbish and even when you select no
it installed it all anyway.
Certainly got worse for automatically granting access to the camera and microphone.Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...0 -
Days turning off notifications??? 10 minute job at most, all done in the settings, a quick scroll down all the apps and either off or on. Of course if you just wait until you get a notification from an app (just doing it's job), it will take you a while.
Same with uninstalling apps, not really a time intensive job. What apps anyone wants is an individual choice, those that use AI for example wouldn't want to uninstall them.
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
A PIRATE
Not an Alcoholic...!1 -
I use the Microsoft Launcher for Android on my S25 ultra which simplifies the Samsung default, IMHO of course.
0 -
I used that for a while and it does simplify the look….I moved to Niagara launcher, which simplifies things even more.
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
A PIRATE
Not an Alcoholic...!0 -
Simple launchers specifically designed for the elderly are also available. I've no idea how good (or not) they are.
Stompa0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
