We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Authorisation - any record ?
When a retailer authorises £1000 against a VISA credit card and subsequently takes £500, does any record remain of the original authorisation ?
Comments
-
I can’t say I’ve ever noticed a trace left for any of my pre authorisations, they just disappear.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.0 -
I'd imagine the credit card provider probably retains some sort of database record for a bit, but if so I dare say it'd be something that their customer services cannot (easily) access.
0 -
The merchant, the bank and the card network will all have a record of it, but they are not primarily accessible to the customer/cardholder.
What are you trying to achieve and perhaps someone can assist?
0 -
Yes, the card issuer will keep a record of what they authorised.
It may still show as a hold for the full £1,000 too depending on how the subsequent £500 transaction was put through or the hold may drop to £500 or £0Its always easier if you ask the real question and not some cryptic question about a small detail
0 -
The motive is a car hire dispute where I was charged insurance. If I were able to prove that a £700 deduction was authorised on my credit card that would suggest that there should have been no charge for insurance.
0 -
The authorisation only proves what the bank authorised not what you authorised. It is technically possible to do a collection without authorisation, however any business doing that is going to be paying exceptionally high fees plus they automatically lose every chargeback
So yes, the bank will hold each and every authorisation they gave to the merchant but that doesnt really prove anything in your dispute.
0 -
I would regard it as pretty conclusive proof that the desk clerk was aware that no insurance was required.
0 -
Im assuming you are talking about CDW in which case its not insurance and not really… if there are two seperate authorisations that doesnt show you didnt personally authorise it, there are good reasons why they would want to do it as two transactions and even if they do normally do them as one obviously it can also be a late sale, that you changed your mind and hence they put it through after.
0 -
You seem to have everything back to front. I am hoping to prove that I did authorise a £700 retention.
0 -
Might on the security system, but once a payment debits authorisation will drop off the account.
Life in the slow lane0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

