We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Spray painting outside

Baldytyke88
Baldytyke88 Posts: 1,166 Forumite
1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

I am repairing a few dents in my van. I have read that primer and P38 filler are porous and so if it gets wet it can cause the metal underneath to rust.

Forty years ago, I was aware of this, when I painted cars etc. we used wet n dry paper etc.

How worried should I be when painting my van outside and leaving it overnight? What I need is some dry weather :)

Comments

  • paul_c123
    paul_c123 Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Just wait for some decent weather.

  • Baldytyke88
    Baldytyke88 Posts: 1,166 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    I have started on one door, but put a coat of paint on it to let it dry. For another door, I am filling a dent, I have covered it up because we were due rain. I will see what the forecast is like tomorrow.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,912 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I have read that primer and P38 filler are porous and so if it gets wet it can cause the metal underneath to rust.

    What brand of primer are you using?

    Dulux for example say their red oxide primer is "water resistant when dry":

    https://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.uk/blackfriar-red-oxide-metal-primer

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Normal body grade filler like P38 tends to create pin holes and tiny air pockets.

    No matter how well you mix it and try and squeeze all the air out of it, you still end up with them. If you leave the filler exposed to the atmosphere too long moisture tends to form as the filler is exothermic ie it heats as it sets and can attract condensation in a humid atmosphere. Then when you paint over it, the moisture becomes trapped.

    It get a reliable finish it's best not to leave the filler exposed too long after curing. If it's really humid where you are working, a fan will help. Then use something to fill all those tiny exposed holes, like coats of high build primer or a stopper (a thick paint like fine filler) before finishing it with a finer primer, colour coat and lacquer.

    If you've left it overnight, you could try gentle heat with a hair dryer on the area to try and rid yourself of any excess moisture before painting over it, just enough to drive the moisture off but let it cool a little before painting.

  • Baldytyke88
    Baldytyke88 Posts: 1,166 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    I am using red primer, Auto Extreme, but it does not mention being water-resistant. I have a break in the rain this morning, so I will try and get it covered with a coat of final paint.

  • Baldytyke88
    Baldytyke88 Posts: 1,166 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    I ended up painting the repaired door before I was finished, I thought it might be ok. I need another tub of P38, so I will need to remove some paint before I reapply.

    I have also brush-painted the side door; the finish is terrible. I asked AI, and it stated that the temperature on that day could have been too high and that could have been the cause for the paint not spreading properly. So that needs leveling and another coat applied.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.