We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
deposit gifted by a friend
Comments
-
that’s nonsense. I gifted a friend money for a deposit and other than I had to have independent legal advice- and obviously comply with all the money laundering stuff, it was fine. The friend had very little in the way of savings themselves, and after I had very little savings. It’s perfectly possible.
The mortgage they got was with Barclays I think0 -
not all lenders will accept a gifted deposit from a friend
I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.0 -
indeed. Barclays are one that do however
0 -
Perhaps that should read 'in the past Barclays did so' - see below
Seems Barclays may have updated their position and friends and 'go fund me' initiatives are now a no no for house deposit purposes.
3 -
Perhaps it should read Barclays did less than two years ago, but if they have changed their rules then they’ve changed their rules.
0 -
About time that lenders started saying no to Go Fund Me type things - someone I vaguely know (although I hasten to add definitely not a friend!) did exactly this during Covid - in spite of already knowing they wouldn't get a mortgage anyway for various reasons they took a lot of people for a ride and netted literally tens of thousands of pounds. Amazing how many people are fool enough to be taken in by a sob-story.
🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00 Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
Balance as at 31/08/24 = £105,400.00 Balance as at 31/12/24 = £102,500.00
£100k barrier broken 1/4/25
Balance as at 31/08/25 = £ 95,450.00. Balance as at 31/12/25 = £ 91,100.00
SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculatorshe/her1 -
According to our criteria search tool there are 14 potential lenders for this.
I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


