We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Stalled (?) application for an HSBC credit card
I need a new credit card and HSBC was the highest-placed contender on the MSE recommendation list. I have good credit and was 100% pre-approved on the MSE ranking. I filled out the application and got a screen at the end that said (I am probably paraphrasing) "thank you for your application, we'll review it and respond shortly". That was more than a week ago.
I really want to sort this out before I go on holiday in a few days time. Would you follow it up with HSBC or presume it's not happening and apply for the second-placed card?
Comments
-
You could drop them an email or something if they have a contact email, ringing them would be pointless as you won't be able to speak to the relevant team and customer service front line won't know
FWIW I was 100% pre-approved for a Virgin BT card and that went for manual review and was rejected after a week. My HSBC cc was opened immediately. Provided you don't need to make any major financial decisions like a mortgage there is no harm in having a second card application - ideally to someone who issues Visa rather than MasterCard or vice versa or go for an AmEx just so you are covered if one system goes down
Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness:
People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
