We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

To survey or not

2

Comments

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,400 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper

    I’d get a full survey. You are doing a Reno, if there are any issues with the builder it would be good to have a baseline where you can point out that any problem was caused by the builder or was pre- existing.

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 13,118 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    Doesn't really make any difference if a problem is caused by a builder or was pre existing though.

    If it's a problem it needs sorting out either way.

  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 11,745 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper

    I would be more tempted to pay a builder you know to spend an hour going round the property with you and asking his advice and getting ballpark
    values for works you want doing.

    This can be useful, but it should always be remembered that most builders aren't experts and their advice is very unlikely to be covered by any professional indemnity.

    Also, that a lot of the problems surveyors/new owners find are a consequence of people trusting a builder to know what they were doing, or to do the right thing.

    Very few builders have detailed knowledge of plumbing/electrics/heating. So like the average surveyor, they should really tell you to ask a professional in each field.

  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 11,745 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper

    I think silvercar means have a survey so if your own builder mucks things up during the renovation you've got proof that it wasn't like that before they started.

    TBH this is something people can (and should) do before getting any work done - just take photos of everything, then store them somewhere safe.

  • Tabieth
    Tabieth Posts: 570 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    I’d always get a survey. Buying a property is the biggest purchase the vast majority of us will ever make. Spending a few hundred pounds on a survey is to me a no-brainer.

  • zoemk12
    zoemk12 Posts: 173 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Thanks all for your thoughts and opinions. I’ve booked a survey, in the grand scheme of things it’s a drop in the ocean, but could save us a lot down the line. To be honest, unless the surveyor says the house is falling down we will buy it as it’s got the potential to be everything we want and the location is just wonderful- think countryside, near the river etc.

    Re heat pump, I believe the assessment is carried out for free by the company we select, eg EON. However, I’m interested in reading more about air to air, especially after the last few months 🥵! So I’ll look in to this over the coming weeks.

  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Sounds wise, as you say the fee is a drop in the ocean. Interesting to note eon as the heat pump provider will provide that assessment for free.

    Also note the river location, so no doubt you will be checking environmental flood maps for past and potential future flooding risks.

    I have been caught out with a property previously in a low risk flood area, that was redesignated high risk when maps redrawn and reassessed, and as a result lost flood damage cover on the buildings insurance which we had for 7 years previously.

  • zoemk12
    zoemk12 Posts: 173 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    @poseidon1 yes we did look into this. It’s walking distance the river, rather than on the river so I think we will be ok. It’s not flooded before, but who knows with the weather we’re having. We will cross that bridge if it comes!

  • sherlock228
    sherlock228 Posts: 174 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper

    whilst I used to think that that I no longer do as I have enough knowledge of buildings to be able to produce a typical surveyors report myself.

    Also, with vendor's copoeration, I have been able to get to places surveyors never do (up close to the chimney stack on a roof in one case).
    You are still left with the same outcome re caveat wordings… get electrican report, get structural engineer report, get plumber report
    But, as I say, I have a lot of knowledge of housing and when buying a second hand car I do still pay for an inspection of it as I don't know cars!

  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 5,369 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    A friend of my wife moves house on average about every 2 years, and always gets a survey. She said it's always more than paid for itself with a price reduction, even if the price drop is only a grand. Vendors seem to take more notice of a professional survey report, more than a builder walking around giving his opinion. When I looked at my eldest daughter's house the vendors asked to see the surveyors report when I pointed out a few issues. When I did my youngest daughter's I set a report out on an email which seemed to work better as she got a couple of grand off the price.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.