We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Full and Final Settlement - Link Financial

2»

Comments

  • I have a very old debt bought by Link about a year ago. I previously asked for the CCA (about 5 years ago) and the previous owner could produce it. I'm in a position to offer FF now and just thought I'd CCA request all the credit cards debts (I dont think it applies to loans though, but I may be wrong ). Anyway, Link cant produce it and sent me a letter saying it was unenforceable but they would like me to pay. Always useful to do I think.

  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 32,949 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    Section 77 CCA applies to fixed sum credit agreements, such as loans, and some catalogue and store cards.

    Section 78 CCA applies to credit card accounts.

    Section 79 CCA applies to hire agreements.

    You make a request for information under the relevant section of the consumer credit act depending on your financial product.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • MammaOftwo
    MammaOftwo Posts: 10 Forumite
    Second Anniversary First Post

    Thanks for the replies, I've just emailed Link asking for a copy of the CCA.

  • bcs7
    bcs7 Posts: 102 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    I've had similar dealings with them and have reduced my payments in the hope that as time goes on they will be more willing to accept a lump sum that is a reasonable discount.

    They seem to like countering with 90% and then being very stubborn about reducing it.
    Almost all my debts have been them countering over 75%.

    On one they did counter with 55% but the debt itself was fairly large so even that was too high for me to think about. Then 6 months later they randomly upped that same debt back to a 90% offer.

    Unfortunately when it comes to F&F settlements, particularly with Link, it appears to be a very drawn out cat and mouse game….. unless you give in and pay up the high amount, which is what they want.

  • MammaOftwo
    MammaOftwo Posts: 10 Forumite
    Second Anniversary First Post

    Link have sent me the standard we can't find your CCA agreement within 12 days but we'll keep looking - I'm thinking about making them a low offer say 20% because it seems that if they do find it then they won't much of a discount.

  • 13thlegion
    13thlegion Posts: 173 Forumite
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    If they can't find the CCA don't offer anything and stop paying them. Without a CCA there's no enforceable proof the debt exists.

    Just stop paying it. The what if, if it does turn up, is think about it then. It is very unlikely however.

  • MammaOftwo
    MammaOftwo Posts: 10 Forumite
    Second Anniversary First Post

    Well Link sent me the CCA agreement and statement - however it didn't contain any address for me, it my had my address as C/O Zopa's address, so I've replied saying I don't accept it as valid due to that, I ran it through Claude and that was the only thing it picked up on.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.