We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Full and Final Settlement - Link Financial

I have managed to settle all of my accounts over the last 6 months through negotiation even a mainstream original lender with the exception of one debt with Link Financial. Despite numerous offers they have countered with a figure which only represents minimal discount way off what my other creditors settled on. When I spoke to them they said one of the factors is because it’s a paying account, so it’s almost like they are holding it against me for paying regularly over the years. So if I stop paying they will accept a lower offer?
the minimum payment I am making through the DMP would take 50 plus years to pay off, and I’m surprised that the significant sum I offered is being rejected.
does anyone have any experience with them and what worked?

I really want to get out of the DMP as a house move and mortgage requirement may be needed in 2027.

«1

Comments

  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Grumpelstiltskin Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    What type of debt was it, credit card, loan?

    How old is it?

    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,801 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Do you have the money to pay the amount they are suggesting? Not saying you should pay it but just that you might consider it an option in order to move on.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • ManyWays
    ManyWays Posts: 2,592 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    What is the default date on this account?

  • I can’t stretch to their settlement, the account defaulted in 2021 and it was a loan.

  • ManyWays
    ManyWays Posts: 2,592 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Have you asked Link (not the original lender) to produce the Consumer Credit Act agreement for the loan?

  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 32,949 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    A little while ago they were taking all the deals they could get as the business overall had underperformed in the last financial year, and they were desperate for capital, it appears that strategy has now ended.

    Normally they are the hardest to negotiate a reasonable settlement deal with.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 3,123 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    You should definitely do this if you haven't already, if they can't produce the cca then you can completely ignore the debt.

  • MammaOftwo
    MammaOftwo Posts: 10 Forumite
    Second Anniversary First Post

    I'm in exactly the same boat with Link, the original debt was with Zopa and defaulted six years ago - Link took it over two years ago on behalf of LC Asset 2 S.a r.l. and they're happy to receive token payments forever or give a 10% discount, I know Zopa still have the paperwork so assume it wouldn't be too difficult for Link to get a copy.

  • ManyWays
    ManyWays Posts: 2,592 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    so assume it wouldn't be too difficult for Link to get a copy.

    You should NOT assume that as you have no idea about the terms link bought the debt on.

    Some debts are sold with the CCA.
    Some are sold with no CCA but the debt purchaser has the righ to ask for it
    Some debts are sold with no right to ask for it,.

    Until you ask Link, you have no idea which applies to your debt

  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 3,123 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    I agree, some people have reported that the cca can't be produced for quite recent debts they have where they thought it should have been easy to produce. Don't get your hopes up but it's always worth a try.

    In response to the original question, I found them difficult when it came to settlement offers too. I made offers a couple of times but they wouldn't engage with a serious counter offer and just said they would accept 10%. If you stopped paying how long would it take you to save enough to clear it in full?

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.