We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

New PHEV owner seeking same.

2»

Comments

  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 3,383 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Until recently I thought my next car would be a hybrid ( Corolla estate ) or A PHEV.

    As I thought EV’s were problematic ie charging cost away from home, range anxiety, finding a charger etc.

    But in the last 2 years Ive only done one long drive of 100 miles each way and most newer EV,s would have enough range to cover this, so no range or charging worries, servicing is half the price as well.

    Then I started diving them for work.

    Now after a bit of rational thinking I’ve changed my mind.

    I love the way they drive. As long as I have a driveway when I move an EV is for me.

  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 4,891 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Hung up my suit! Home Insurance Hacker!

    Well played to you for being open-minded and coming to sharing that.

    As an EV driver myself who took the plunge a few years ago (at the time, for tax reasons), I can not count how many times in conversation at them seeing I drive an EV, I am presented (typically by ICE drivers) with absolutely ludicrous scenarios like "but what if you felt like driving to Inverness and back?" to which I usually counter with "how many times have you found yourself spontaneously driving to Inverness and back?" to which is usually responded to with "None… but I could if I wanted". At which point I usually just gloss over and disingenuously agree to end the conversation. I'm now at the point I actively avoid the conversation, realising I can't change peoples minds, only they can do that. If they don't want to buy an EV, they will come up with an endless list of reasons why not, regardless of how sensible or realistic they are. My work colleague still warns me that EV's are a death trap as they are constantly spontaneously exploding on the motorways… guess I'm just lucky.

    The only main criticisms I'd have as a user of one are mainly focused around public charging - lack of availability (though massively improving), common downtime (you can almost guarantee that 1/4 of the chargers on any site will be down for one reason or another) or most importantly the obscene cost (oftentimes ~90p/kWh, over 20x what I pay to charge at home).

    The pro's massively outweigh the cons though, especially if you only ever do short journeys (e.g. you work locally or are retired).

    Know what you don't
  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,149 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Drove to Inverness and back last week - admittedly only from Edinburgh but I didn't need to charge away from home at all.

  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 4,891 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Hung up my suit! Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 20 August at 11:54AM

    Haha, I should have seen that coming!

    The statement carries a lot more impact when made between people in Kent.

    Know what you don't
  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,149 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Of course! My drive to London last month isn't half as impressive unless you know where I started 😃

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,148 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    Life in the slow lane
  • shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,222 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 20 August at 9:29PM

    My usual resonse to your question is 'do you know what "average" means?'. I do around 30 miles a day on average in my PHEV, which has a 30 mile EV range and I charge it every day. However, I still buy quite a lot of petrol. That's because some days I do no miles, some I do 30 and some I do 300 (or even more!!). It had its annual service today and it cost £188. As with most EVs, the battery has been faultless (it's a 5 year old car).

    To answer the OP's question, I don't think it's worth it to have an EV specific tariff. I had one at first with EON but when it ran out, the next version was not as favourable for my usage (quite a lot of daytime use) so I'm now on a 'normal' tariff. It still works out cheaper than petrol and I can drive locally without polluting the atmosphere.

  • matt_drummer
    matt_drummer Posts: 2,367 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Have a read of the opening post.

    The occasional journey over 30 miles meaning most journeys are less than that. 8,000 miles a year with most trips less than 30 miles does average about 20 miles a day.

    I don't understand why anybody needs an engine to cover the occasional longer journey, it seems a complete waste to me just to avoid the occasional need to public charge, which may actually be never depending on the person and the ev

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.