We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Contents Insurance with a lodger
Hi I am new to the forum.
I rent a property and have a lodger with consent of my landlady. I would like to get contents insurance to cover us both but what happens in the event of my death? Can I name my lodger on the insurance? My lodger is not only my lodger they are my closet friend that has helped me for years, they are the sole beneficiary in the event of my death too.
Comments
-
After filling in the Money saving Expert insurance tool, I see I can have insurance with joint names.
0 -
Yes, home insurance can be in joint names and is a sensible idea if there is more than one "family" in the property.
Traditionally if you declare you have a non-family member living with you stricter theft clauses are applied to the contract but in the race to the bottom that the likes of Money Supermarket and its sub brand Money Saving Expert have caused its fairly common for basic policies to apply the same term to all policies. The stricter term normally means theft is only covered if there is evidence of forced or violent entry meaning if you left your front door unlocked as you quickly nipped to the corner shop and an opportunistic thief popped in and helped themselves there would be no cover.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards