We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

copilot sign in now necessary

Monanore
Monanore Posts: 95 Forumite
Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
edited 15 August at 8:43AM in Techie Stuff

I use copilot a lot, both for a quick question and serious research.
For the former, where extended features are not required, I would use the Copilot integrated into Edge, which was the only way to access it without the annoyance of signing in. Microsoft have changed this to requiring sign in. The result is that instead of using it all the time ( presumably what MS would like ) I now only use it when I have to. I use other ai's for a quick question.

Comments

  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 15,880 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Homepage Hero Name Dropper

    I've never used it, but I have read that MS, and other AI providers, are trying hard to make some money out of it, so far seems AI is a money pit for them but no one dare stand still

    Meanwhile general public remains reluctant to pay for AI

    Member of "Rubbish at Radishes" club
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,403 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    It's a terrible dilemma for the tech companies, they desperately want you to use the AI that they have spent billions developing (see how hard it is to escape AI that's built into Windows/365 or Google Anything) but need you to pay for the privilege. Punters have grown up with the perception that everything's free on the Internet (it isn't) and really don't want to pay extra for anything.

    Currently they do this by giving you little bits of access for free (extra chatty Alexa + was foisted on me this week) but as soon as you want to do anything serious it'll cost, and not insignificant money.

    OP's point about signing in, maybe I'm in a minority but I use a standard install of Windows that asked for (and got) the details of my MS account on setup, so I'm always logged in. I'll give up some privacy for the ease of access to my MS products and Onedrive storage.

  • Vitor
    Vitor Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 15 August at 10:43AM

    OP should install Linux Mint, fight 'the man'.

  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 13,098 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper

    All AIs/LLMs will require sign in soon, most already do. Not being prepared to use them signed in seems ridiculous at best.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.