We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Using HSBC Credit Card
Comments
-
Have you looked in the app?
I log in, go to card → Balance and Money Transfers → Balance Transfer and it tells me the existing transfers and "Request another BT" it gives me the offer i.e. 15 months at 0% (old card with existing balance)
Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness:
People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.
0 -
It was simple and seamless.
Whole job from applying, including security protocols to setting up balance transfer was slick and easy. But then I downloaded, read and retained all the relevant information, a step you have not confirmed you undertook here but you must have confirmed understanding to progress the application.
I fear your issues are self-inflicted.
Your life is too short to be unhappy 5 days a week in exchange for 2 days of freedom!
One can always make more money. No one who has ever lived can create more time.0 -
I was trying to go through the procedure on a PC as explained in the OP, which HSBC claimed was possible. Unfortunately, everyone isn't proficient at fiddling about with tablets because some people with mental and physical disabilities have to use this stuff, and tablets just don't cut it. In fact some people can't use computers in any form. Also some people don't feel comfortable carrying a banking app around with them given certain security flaws which have been exposed.
Neither is it satisfactory that the T&C should be flashed up during the application process only, under the assumption that people will screenshot it, so it can then be hidden from view or record. I doubt if this is even legal, and anyone who thinks it's OK will be contributing to a deteriorating bank service.
Anyway, I visited a branch today and the paperwork made it clear that I was offered the 36m 0% transfer and a more limited 3m offer of 0% on spending, in total contrast to the interest rate indicated on the paperwork with the card. The genuine T&C which the bank printed out was about 20 pages in all, including the 0% detail. Surely it's better to send this by Email? One note is that the 3% fee is added to the spending part of the card which only lasts for 3 months, so anyone applying for this should clear that in time, or else you'd be charged interest on that.
0 -
You just seem to be looking for issues.
HSBC do offer web based servicing in addition to app & voice/phone based servicing. I've not seen any evidence of known security issues with their app.
A card will usually have core T&Cs including standard APRs with the promo APR offer essentially sitting on-top and changing from time to time. This will be why you will have core product and offer T&Cs.
I bank with HSBC and they supply lots of documentation (almost to a fault) so I don't actually see them expecting you to 'screenshot' anything. They'll email it, enable download or send it via the post.
2 -
I applied via computer and only downloaded the app after I got my credentials.
Whilst all your comments about difficulties people have are true, you should recognise that you also applied via computer and must have been content, else you would have terminated the application and gone into a branch.
There are no genuine Ts&Cs and fake Ts&Cs. They are the Ts&Cs that HSBC stipulate you must agree to before they will offer the service.
The Ts&Cs are not flashed up, they are linked and downloadable. When you go through the application process you are required to confirm that you have read and understand the Ts&Cs. If you did not read and understand them then, as I said before, you have completed a false statement on the application.
I feel, although I am not absolutely sure that the obligation is to present very clearly the "permanent" rate of interest, the higher rate you are seeing. Secondary to that will be the offer (promotional) rate, which as you recognised is in the hard copy Ts&Cs, the same Ts&Cs that you will have been required to read and understand when you applied and that you have since read once you got the hard copy from the bank.
Your life is too short to be unhappy 5 days a week in exchange for 2 days of freedom!
One can always make more money. No one who has ever lived can create more time.1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


