We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Lloyds Platinum account and AA Membership

HI All, my Family AA membership renewal quote is £350 this year, I am thinking of moving to a Lloyds Platinum account to cover my AA membership and Travel Insurance (I already have a Club account).

Does anyone have any insight or gotchas they could share? Anything that would make it less than a good deal?

cheers

m

Comments

  • On-the-coast
    On-the-coast Posts: 774 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    I’ve had the packaged platinum account for around 20 years. I (and partner) have used it many times. It, along with holiday travel insurance has been worth the money I pay Lloyds monthly.
    The big difference is that European cover (outside Channel Islands) is not covered and not easily upgradable. Also cover stops when you’re 80

  • retiredbanker1
    retiredbanker1 Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Firstly I would phone the AA up and haggle! Tell them you can have much better deals elsewhere if they do not reduce the renewal premium - and see what they offer.

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,814 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    account add ons for insurance have limitations that might not be suitable. I had both travel insurance and recovery on my Barclays account. Travel insurance was fine until I had to declare some of my OH's health issues and they wouldn't include him - not even for a stolen/lost suitcase. Also it's standard to stop the cover when people hit a certain age.

    Likewise the recovery was fine for me but if my OH was driving without me he had no cover as it wasn't his account. That was ultimately resolved by adding him to the account. (he did call for recovery once and the person that showed up asked where I was. He was truthful and said I wasn't there, I was at home or at work or wherever. The recovery person said to him very firmly "don't you mean she has just popped around the corner and will be back in a minute?" OH agreed. Recovery done.)

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • Barkin
    Barkin Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Worth clarifying, perhaps, that this...

    The big difference is that European cover (outside Channel Islands) is not covered and not easily upgradable.

    ...applies to the packaged AA cover.

    While this...

    Also cover stops when you’re 80

    Is referring to the worldwide travel insurance.

  • grumpy_codger
    grumpy_codger Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 13 August at 1:32PM

    Is Lloyds Premium (£22.50 p.p.m.) the best value for roadside assistance and travel insurance?

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.