We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Should I start to empty my SIPP

12467

Comments

  • NormalNorman
    NormalNorman Posts: 214 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Although with DIY you can…

    Both have the SIPPs from the same provider. Fortunately, wife engages with hers so will be familiar with mine.

    The same with savings accounts and ISAs. We mirror each other.

    Backed up with the usual spreadsheets and graphs of where and when our retirement income comes from.

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,864 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    If I take a salary, then there is employers NIC to take into consideration

    You said in an earlier post: "I have a ltd company with no other directors or employees."

    So why would you pay employers' NIC?

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • hoofy
    hoofy Posts: 104 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 13 August at 3:49PM

    So why would you pay employers' NIC?

    I assumed if my ltd co paid me £12600 then £7600 of that would have a 15% employers NIC to pay on it. Have I got the wrong?

  • hoofy
    hoofy Posts: 104 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    taking 50k from your SIPP and putting it mostly in a GIA while taking living expenses from an ISA makes no sense to me. maybe I’m missing something.

    I have never taken a penny from my ISA and always topped it up to the max.

    My living expenses won't come out of money taken from SIPP or ISA. I have £70k in a bank account. When that is gone I will sell shares in my GIA and at the same time use up my £3k CGT allowance.

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,864 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    No it's my fault you would pay NIC as your single shareholder director (I was tripping over the references to your wife and had it in my head that she would be on the business as well, like so many spouses are). If your wife was a director, then you wouldn't pay NICs, as you would qualify for the employment allowance.

    Could your wife be put on the company as a director?

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • kempiejon
    kempiejon Posts: 1,148 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    When I started my default for a survivor was ftse100 tracker but the market has changed and I have come round to 80:20 global tracker:bonds.

  • hoofy
    hoofy Posts: 104 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    Could your wife be put on the company as a director?

    TBH. My company now is just a hobby, it has served it's purpose. I could close the gate tomorrow if I wanted and that would be that.

    Like I said, it has gone quiet now after the covid rush and that's how I like it. If it showed any signs of getting busy again I would just close the gate because I don't want to do the work. If it can make a 10 to 20k profit a year with me doing 10 minutes work a day, that will do me. Any profit could go in pension contributions and dividends if need be.

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,409 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper

    if you are playing this tax game, consider government gilts. You pay tax on the interest but nothing on the gilt itself if you hold to redemption. Low interest gilts will mean a return that could beat net savings rates.

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • hoofy
    hoofy Posts: 104 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    I'm playing the tax game, but I'm also investing in fairly high risk funds (mostly stocks) so the tax will catch up with me at some point. I know the advice would be to lower my risk, but I also like playing the accumulation game. I figure the market could drop 50% and I'd still be all right with my current expenditure.

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,409 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper

    Even a high risk portfolio has some money in safer places.

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.