We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Should I start to empty my SIPP

I have just over 500k in my sipp.

I'm 63 next April.

No debts, kids, mortgage, don't go on holidays and don't really spend on anything apart from household bills.No plans for spending in the future.

I have a ltd company with no other directors or employees. I stopped taking a wage last year. I already have 35 yrs NI contributions. I have no other income but I did take a 10k dividend this year to make the most of my 12k tax allowance. I also have other bits and bobs to get it up a few grand.

I only started my sipp during covid as my business went through the roof (timber decking and garden timber) and needed to find a way to avoid paying large amount of tax. It has taken me till this year to empty out my ltd co bank account into my sipp with maximum amounts of employer pension contributions. My business is now very quiet as everyone already did their garden jobs in covid and it's all still there and not likely to need replacing for many years, so I think my sipp has served its purpose.

I always put 20k in my stocks and shares isa every year.

I'm thinking I need to get my income up to 50k each year so I only pay low rate tax and I probably would be better off doing it now before I get my state pension in just over 4 years time? So taking from my sipp seems like a sensible option to me? I would put the money in my stocks and shares GIA.

Am I thinking along the right lines? Or have I over-looked something?

«134567

Comments

  • Isthisforreal99
    Isthisforreal99 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Have you checked your state pension forecast? The 35 years NI conntributions may or may not get you a full state pension.

  • hoofy
    hoofy Posts: 104 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    Yes, I have checked and I will get a full pension.

  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 5,040 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Yes, I would pull down from the SIPP. But I'd wait until after the budget - you need to think about capital gains in your general investment account. Perhaps look at short dated gilts.

  • hoofy
    hoofy Posts: 104 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 13 August at 10:55AM

    Once I take from sipp my attention would then be focused on CGT etc that haven't been much of an issue up to now. I have cashed in shares each year to benefit from my 3k allowance.

    EDIT. I'm assuming wait till after the budget is to see what's happening with CGT? If not, then what would I be watching for?

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,777 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I have just over 500k in my sipp.

    I'm 63 next April.

    I need to get my income up to 50k each year so I only pay low rate tax and I probably would be better off doing it now before I get my state pension in just over 4 years time? So taking from my sipp seems like a sensible option to me?

    Based on your age, drawing £50k from a £500 SIPP won't see you through your reasonable life expectancy.

  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 29,749 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    It is not clear what income you are living off or using to feed your ISA.

    As we stand currently moving 500k out of a sipp over the next 20+ years dies not sound like the higher rate threshold will be a problem if your only other income is state pension.

    I think....
  • hoofy
    hoofy Posts: 104 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    I have another £350k in S&S isa plus £250k in general S&S account plus £70k in bank account.

  • Vitor
    Vitor Posts: 1,691 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    For sure use genuinely unused tax-free bands, continue filling the ISA, but do not withdraw up to £50,000 merely because that band exists. First model expected spending, company distributions, SIPP growth, future withdrawals, tax residence and estate beneficiaries. Without that information, “emptying” the SIPP looks more like unnecessary tax acceleration than clear tax planning.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,634 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Based on your age, drawing £50k from a £500 SIPP won't see you through your reasonable life expectancy.

    However that is based on the assumption the OP will be spending the £50K, which seems unlikely as they said;

    No debts, kids, mortgage, don't go on holidays and don't really spend on anything apart from household bills.No plans for spending in the future.

    Then if you add in -

    I have another £350k in S&S isa plus £250k in general S&S account plus £70k in bank account. Plus a state pension

    I suspect any savings on HRT, will be dwarfed by the eventual IHT bill, especially if there is some decent investment growth over the next decades.

  • hoofy
    hoofy Posts: 104 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    Not bothered about IHT, let whoever cops for it worry about it.

    I doubt anyone is expecting anything because my wealth isn't obvious, so it will be a bonus for them.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.