We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Rentcharge scam or genuine?

In 2024, I bought a semi detached property in Greater Manchester which has a rentcharge. The rentcharge was created in 1976 when the house was built and was in favour of the house builder. The house is on a small estate of similar houses, and the neighbours have a similar rentcharge. The building company named in the title document does not appear to exist at Companies House, and no results come up from a Google search. I can only assume that the building company ceased to exist many years ago. Out of the blue I received an invoice from a company claiming the current rentcharge. I contacted the Land Registry to ask if they had any record of this apparent charge over my property. They could not help and suggested I contact a solicitor. As the rentcharge is £20 per year, I am not going to waste any money on a solicitor at up to £200 per hour.

I emailed the company claiming the rentcharge, and asked for proof that they actually owned the right to apply the rentcharge. Apart from an acknowledgement of my email, I have heard nothing from them. I have recently received another invoice. However, I am beginning to suspect that the people who run this company wait for a house sale, and then send a speculative invoice, hoping the new house buyer will pay, and carry on paying as some of my neighbours have done.

Does anyone know if there is a way of finding out who currently owns the rentcharge? I have read in a solicitor's posting that any charge against a property should be registered in the name of the current (and not just the original) beneficiary at the Land Registry.

The draconian sanctions previously available to rentcharge holders has been changed by the Leasehold and Freehold Reform Act 2024, so I am at no risk of having a lease granted on my property to essentially blackmail me into paying. I have read an extensive posting on this forum where a number of the posters seemed unaware of this.

Comments

  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    I would expect genuine 'scammers' to be far more ambitious than to go to time trouble and expense to scam you for a mere £20.

  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 23,437 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    What is the name of the company?

  • Cheadle8
    Cheadle8 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post

    The new company claiming ownership of the rentcharge is Borsdane Properties Ltd. I think householders are more likely just to pay up on low amounts, and then they keep paying year after year. The only thing any scammer needs would be a computer plus a spreadsheet/database and a printer. I could do this in my sleep. The original question still stands. Should the new rentcharge owner have registered their interest at the Land Registry?

  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 13,118 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    A quick glance on Companies House seems to suggest that the company was incorporated in 1963.

    I would contact them using the registered details on Companies House to confirm if the invoice is legitimate.

  • Cheadle8
    Cheadle8 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post

    Of course they are going to say that their invoice is valid. I have already contacted them by email and asked for proof that they actually own the rentcharge. Apart from an automated email acknowledgement of my request, I have heard nothing. As I said in my previous reply, I could set one of these operations up quite easily and it would basically run on autopilot. Small and regular contributions could be quite a nice earner.

  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Probably won't reassure the OP this is unlikely to be a scam, but one of the lead directors of the company is a solicitor regulated by the Law Society.

    Whether that solicitor would risk prosecution and being struck off the Roll for a £20 fraud, I will let others judge.

  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 16,604 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Have you spoken to the neighbours about who owns their rentcharges? Did any of them get similar invoices? Is the charge in line with what you'd be expecting to pay?

  • bobster2
    bobster2 Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    @Cheadle8 the laws around rentcharges are complex - and the 2024 changes don't necessarily apply to every type of rentcharge. So some legal advice could be worthwhile.

  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 13,172 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Do you have legal expenses cover with your house insurance? If so, might be worth seeing if it would cover a query about this

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.