We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Ford DPF recall - now abs fault update

strawb_shortcake
strawb_shortcake Posts: 3,859 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
edited 13 August at 5:58PM in Motoring

Hi all,

I have a Ford 2016 C max, I had a letter a few weeks back about the DPF recall and my car had to be scanned to see if there was a fault and have a software update.

It went into the dealership yesterday, it was fine to start with but last night it was a bit sluggish. This morning no warning lights came on but it felt it was in limp mode. I switched it on and off again and it was better but didn't feel quite right. The short drive back home after being switched off again felt better but slightly amiss from normal driving experience. There was also a faint burning smell. The thermometer gauge was normal.

The garage have offered to look at this tomorrow but they were quite dismissive of it being anything to do with the upgrade.

Google AI seems to suggest that it might need a reset or something?

Just wondered if there were any thoughts on the above that I should be aware of before speaking further with the garage?

Car is otherwise very reliable, but we have a 4-5 hour drive next week and want to make sure there are no lingering issues and it's safe to drive that distance.

Many thanks

ETA

It was a power chain update that took place - I have no idea what that is.

The dealership looked at my car this morning, according to them the front brake discs and pads both need replacing, despite this not being noted at the MOT 6 weeks ago. In addition to the brakes they identified it went into limp mode yesterday due to an ABS sensor pump failure and somehow this binds to the brakes?? They said if I replace the brakes but don't fix the sensor the brakes will run down quickly again.

They charged me £120 for diagnosis and gave me a quote of circa £2000 to fix. I've taken it to my local trusted garage for their view.

I remain slightly sceptical about their diagnosis, I've had no other issues, no signs of problems with the brakes or warning lights come on, it does feel a bit of a coincidence that it happened pretty much straight after they did an update. Driving it to my local garage today it drove fine, no smells.

I appreciate that my scepticism may be linked to the annoyance of my car unexpectedly off the road, and a possible large bill coming my way as much as I've looked after it.

And also having to pay a fair bit for train tickets rather than our long drive next week.

Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...

Comments

  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Did they update the software? If so, it may just need to relearn your driving style.

    But since they're going to look at it tomorrow, I'm not sure what else you want them to do, or us to suggest…?

  • strawb_shortcake
    strawb_shortcake Posts: 3,859 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Thank you, they did update the software.

    I literally know nothing about cars, and just thought someone else may have come across this issue and it's totally normal or may have advised that the two things were not related. Almost like a sanity check really

    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

    Make £2024 in 2024...
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 3,239 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Faulty sensors can throw up all sorts of strange warnings on your display, often not related to the actual faulty sensor. A common one is an ABS sensor, they are open to the elements and seem prone to failure.

    It's always worth a visit to a local independent garage, generally they charge a fraction of what a main dealer would charge.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.