We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

National Entity poor work led to rat infestation

124»

Comments

  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 4,535
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    No.

    All streetworks cause some degree of inconvenience because of noise, dust, barriers, etc. but they have a duty to keep these to a minimum.

    They have to consider how most people using the street would be affected but they can't prevent every possible injury to people with unknown disabilities. Apart from the cost, it would be impossible to even start most street work under that limitation.

    The test they use is whether the average man or woman in the street would be unreasonably affected. So if they dig an excavation they have to fence and supervise it while they are working and cover it and erect warning signs when they are not.

    However if they know there are special circumstances, such as a school nearby or buried utility pipes, they have to take additional precautions.

    That 'helpful bloke' seems to have told you quite a lot of things. It is unusual that their contract states that they have a duty to put right any damage even if they didn't cause it. Perhaps he doesn't understand the contract very well.

    I'm intrigued - what is the one more thing you are going to try?

  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,440
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    @ellymoo I don't recall in your 2 threads about this you putting up any photos of the damaged garden or where the contractors were digging and caused all the issues to the sewer.

    You don't have to post any but it could give users a better understanding of your predicament.

  • ellymoo
    ellymoo Posts: 168
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    TBH I didn't think that it would be worth putting up photos as what I was looking for was help with my rights such as they are. Photos of mess and dead/dying rats and holes don't really explain much!

    Perhaps the helpful bloke was lying to me. I'm loathe to get him in difficulty so I've deleted that.

    TBH I'm not going to say anything about my other options because I'm feeling rather sensitive after some of the snarky comments on here but if they succeed I'll let you know! 😉

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.