We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Dream Door kitchens -should you avoid this franchise?

This is a UK franchise, and it is not unusual for the franchisee to struggle to stay afloat with licence fees and other overhead costs. Effectively, the franchisee takes all the risks of the business.

My experience was a poor one. Whilst the product is of good quality, it is relatively expensive. The franchisee contracts a fitter per job. In my case, the fitter was affable and seemed competent. Sometime later when I experienced problems with the door fitting, I discovered that the fitter had broken a part, not fitted all screws so the door warped, and used the wrong length screw somewhere else. I found it deceitful that the fitter did not admit to any of this, and without my permission, removed all evidence by taking away the installation instructions and surplus parts.

The franchisee has ignored my written complaint, even though I have provided photographs of the fitter's incompetence, and an invitation to visit my property to discuss the resolution of my problems.

In summary, my view is that this business model is a fragile one, so it is likely cheap contractors will used to fit their kitchens, and it is likely any problems will be ignored because of the additional costs incurred. The only recourse I have will be through the Small Claims Court.

Comments

  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 4,897
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Hung up my suit! Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    edited 10 August at 1:21PM

    This probably should have been posted in the 'Praise, vent & warnings' subforum as I can't see that you have asked a question (except the rhetorical one in your title) - suggested to mods to move.

    I probably would avoid mentioning all the thoughts and feelings about their business model as it is mostly irrelevant - to be honest when I first started reading, I assumed you were a franchisee with how you were complaining about the franchise arrangement, it was only half way through I realised you were a dissatisfied customer. It's important to be concise and not ramble, especially when writing formal complaints or considering escalation to court.

    Know what you don't
  • It's up to the franchise owner to fix the problem. You need to go ahead with enforcing an outcome.

    That said, I used Dream Doors 14 years ago for a full new kitchen (an outlet long since closed) and the fitter I got was the best tradesman I've ever employed. Came up from Liverpool to the Lakes every day, arriving 8am prompt, explained what he was going to do, did it, then explained what he'd done. Everything mm perfect and after 13 years the kitchen was just the same as the day he'd fitted it. I actually tried to find him when I got new kitchens fitted earlier this year in my new place, willing to pay a premium for his travel or accommodation, but I couldn't recall his surname and so couldn't find him.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.