We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Cards to use abroad
Comments
-
The Santander debit card will likely incur fees at most (if not all) bank linked ATMs.
0 -
Santander debit cards are fee-free at Santander ATMs, so useful where they are prevalent - like Spain. (Their website says Spain, Germany, Poland, Portugal, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, and the USA but I don't know how common they would be) Given most if not all ATM operators in Spain charge their own fees for UK debit cards the Santander card would beat most of them if used at a Santander ATM.
0 -
TSB Bank debit card holders can now also use Santander ATMs for free too.
2 -
Thanks - didn't know that, interesting.
I suspect it'll only be Santander bank owned and operated fully branded ATMs for fee free transactions- as in Spain and the Canaries.
0 -
UK Santander debit cards are only fee free if used at Banco Santander owned and operated (aka fully branded) ATMs in Spain and the Canaries - as located at branches.
Standalone cajeros in resorts bearing the Santander logo are part of Euro Automatic Cash ATMs in which BS have a 50% stake - this relationship only gives commission free withdrawals to BS domestic clients.
I have no experience of other countries, although I believe branches are widespread in Portugal.
1 -
I was in Palma (Majorca, Spain) last week and used an ATM inside a Santander bank entrance. I don't recall having to select "pay" with € or £ but must have selected £, as that is what is in my Santander UK account. However, I should have selected €, because I got hit with an 8.4% markup on the exchange rate! So, just like using a debit or credit card for purchases, always select to pay in the local currency.
After complaining to Santander UK, they agreed to review the wording on their website, to make it clearer about using the local currency to pay for cash withdrawals.
0 -
I've got that, and Barclaycard Rewards, which also gives Fee Free Foreign Spending, and 1% cashback, for the first year.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
