We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

I'm not buying another Samsung product

13»

Comments

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,685
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I am not a TV techie, but my understanding is that a modern TV will try to upgrade older SD programmes to get a better picture quality, but how well it does it is down to the Processor ( not the screen). I assume that is why our LG TV does this better than the TCL one, as it has a better processor.

  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 4,897
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Hung up my suit! Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    edited 11 August at 3:02PM

    I believe it's a combination of the processor and the upscaling algorithm, of which LG mostly wins at both.

    Though as you can appreciate, there is only so much a TV can do to upscale an SD television channel which might be 720x576 (~0.4M pixels) to 4K (~8.3M pixels), 20x the pixel count.

    To be honest, when I used upscaling on old programs like Judge Judy, I didn't notice a big difference.

    Know what you don't
  • Chief_of_Staffy
    Chief_of_Staffy Posts: 498
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Thing is, who do you buy? Samsung has notoriously poor support, but their products in my experience are OK. Same with LG, although they're becoming more expensive relatively speaking. Sony on the other hand make it easy - garbage products and terrible support. I actually gave away my old Sony TV - a top of the range 65" - because it was so atrocious I'd have been embarrassed to put it on Ebay. Apple - so overpriced it ought to be a criminal offence.

  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 14,512
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 15 August at 9:36PM

    A small update…

    I called them again on Thursday and I was assured that the outstanding payment would be forthcoming but was being held up due to an issue at their end.

    They also offered me £20 compensation, to be in the form of a voucher if I'd agree to close the call; I said that I'd do so when I received my refund, to which they said they'd issue the voucher when I called back and confirmed receipt of the refund.

    Is suppose the voucher will be of no use to me, as it would be online-only and likely have the same delivery issue (unless I guess I could use it for an app), so I'll probably give it away (if it's transferable).

  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 14,512
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 18 August at 5:53PM

    And I've had the notification that the refund is on its way.

    screenshot-20260818-141639.png

    (Thanks mods for alerting me regarding my error.)

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.