We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
FTB, survey done, slightly confused on next steps
The background is after I receive the contract pack from the conveyancer I was asked two questions:
- Did I have any queries I wanted to raise in relation to the TA6 and TA10 forms?
- Did I want her to order the searches now, or wait until after I’ve had the survey done. She pointed out the searches are non-refundable so some people choose to wait in case the survey flags serious issues.
I did send some queries, and also opted to get the survey done first. The conveyancer did also say I should share the survey report with her once it’s done.
It seems the conveyancer hasn’t raised the queries from the TA6 and TA10, and plans to raise all queries once the searches are done. Is that normal?
I gave the conveyancer a heads up about the expected date for the survey report, and her response was “That’s great. Just let me know when you’re ready to order the searches”.
I now have the survey report. It’s raised some issues I expected to see, and others that perhaps aren’t unexpected for a house of that particular era. The overall conclusion of the surveyor is
"The property is considered to be a reasonable purchase provided that you are prepared to accept the cost and inconvenience of dealing with the various repair/improvement works reported.
These deficiencies are quite common in properties of this age and type and as long as the necessary works are carried out to a satisfactory standard and the property is kept in good repair, we can see no reason why there should be any special difficulties on resale in normal market conditions."
However, it has raised issues where he got high damp level readings on both the 1st floor (where a disused chimney is) and ground floor (where a chimney breast used to be) and could see some visual damp. Here, he concluded he couldn’t see evidence that the work was done to the correct standards. However, to investigate properly it would involve removing plaster or/and flooring. The current owners have had the property for 20 years and I’m certain it was done before they moved in.
Where I’m a bit confused now is I still want the property, but feel this could be a significant enough issue to try and renegotiate the price over. But how would I go about it?
I don’t propose immediately going in and asking for a price reduction, but wanting to see if the current owner has any more information in relation to this. Or whether the damp might in fact relate to something else the surveyor couldn’t see, but the owner knows about e.g. like a burst pipe that’s since been repaired. It also sounds like I’d need to do this informally through the Estate Agent.
Comments
-
If the chimney no longer has any ventilation where the fireplaces were damp is to be expected and it won't go away until a solution is put in place.
0 -
Yes. I perhaps didn't explain the reason the surveyor suggested further investigation (and not just fitting a vent) is modifications have been made and the ground floor chimney breast has been removed, rather than just covered over. I've just edited my original post to make it a bit clearer.
1 -
A significant proportion of surveys of older properties seem to find some evidence of damp.
0 -
To be clear the surveyor has found evidence of damp in numerous places, but has suggested the one I've highlighted may be the result of a structural alteration to the chimney not being done correctly, but can't draw a definite conclusion without further evidence.
There's a massive difference between DPC failing, and the damp being caused by substandard work that the current or a previous owner actioned.
My question relates to how I go about raising the query, given the conveyancer doesn't seem interested in raising queries until the searches are done, but also that she advised me that getting the survey done first would mean I wouldn't spend money on searches if the survey found issues. I feel like I'm in a catch 22.
0 -
The conveyancer did also say I should share the survey report with her once it’s done.
Have you shared the survey with her?
0 -
I haven't yet, as I've gone back to the surveyor for clarification on 2 points on it.
0 -
epm-84 said
My question relates to how I go about raising the query, given the conveyancer doesn't seem interested in raising queries until the searches are done, but also that she advised me that getting the survey done first would mean I wouldn't spend money on searches if the survey found issues.
…wanting to see if the current owner has any more information in relation to this.
If your question to the seller is something like "What do you know about this damp?" - that's not really something you would ask via a conveyancer.
You could try asking via the estate agent - but I'm not sure how well that would work, with a vague open question like that.
Maybe a solution would be to tell the estate agent that you'd like another viewing with the opportunity to discuss the damp with the seller. (The seller might or might not agree.)
If anything comes out of the discussion that you want included in the contract, you could then tell your conveyancer.
Edit to add…
If your question was something more specific, like "Is there a building regulations completion certificate for the chimney breast removal?" - that would be more appropriate to ask via the conveyancer.
And/or, if you wanted to know before ordering searches, you could ask the seller directly or via the estate agent - and get it confirmed later via the conveyancer.
2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.5K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.1K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.4K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards