We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

My Diesel Claim - Pogust Goodhead

robsfc90
robsfc90 Posts: 4 Newbie
Name Dropper First Post

hi all,

I signed up for the claim a few years back through Pogust Goodhead. I received their email on July 31st explaining the decision went against them but they will proceed with an appeal and I need to confirm I am happy to proceed as part of the appeal. I’m considering withdrawing from the process as it seems like an absolute sham. Has anyone withdrawn already and if so did you have to pay any costs?


thanks

Comments

  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    They don't know their costs yet, until the result of their appeal.

    If they succeed, they are no doubt hoping their costs will be paid (or they can just take it out of the pay-out), if they lose then their costs will obviously increase by what they spent on appealing.

    If you pull out you will likely be on the hook for a share of the total costs, how much is anyone's guess, probably best to ride it out until the end if you are guaranteed to not have to pay anything by not blinking first.

    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • paul_c123
    paul_c123 Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    It will be interesting if the manufacturer's legal fees blow the ATE Insurance cap!

  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 10 August at 11:10AM

    (quoted post removed by Forum Team)

    There was a thread a few days ago with almost exactly the same question, except it said that if the OP didn't opt out then they automatically consented. We can't find the thread now, so it must be deleted or moved to another board - only a mod can do those things.

    Shame as it had a link to the previous judgement with all the technical details as to why it failed. (Which were pretty much what was being suggested on here years ago when people were asking about signing up in the first place)

    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • ahajames
    ahajames Posts: 8 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

    Has anyone received any feedback on this? I also signed up to this scheme a few years ago, and ignorantly assumed the no win no fee tagline was accurate. As the case seems to have stalled and an appeal is considered, I am waiting for clarification from Pogust Goodhead as to whether I am liable for any costs if I choose not to proceed to appeal, as in my mind this is now a change to the original case I signed up for with significantly more risk. The email received gave very little clarity as to what the risks involved are if we choose to appeal or not.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated

  • robsfc90
    robsfc90 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post

    Hi there, I’m the original poster and have tried to contact PG multiple times but it’s impossible to get in touch with someone there. Assume you haven’t been able to speak to anyone there too?

  • ahajames
    ahajames Posts: 8 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

    Hi mate. I've had nothing back that provides any clarity. A lot of 'could' and 'may' statements. The reply implied if I refused to consent to the appeal then my claim may be withdrawn and I could be liable for costs. I don't see why this would be the case though as the ATE insurance should cover me up to the point of appeal as per the original agreement, the appeal thereafter is a complete new phase.

  • robsfc90
    robsfc90 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post

    Yeah that’s what I assumed too. How did you get that response from them out of interest? (even if it was wishy washy)

  • ahajames
    ahajames Posts: 8 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 August at 6:02PM

    I emailed them, been taking around 48 hours to reply up to now. Hopefully get some clarity before the 21st !

  • robsfc90
    robsfc90 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post

    cheers! Was it this address?

    emissions@pogustgoodhead.com

  • ahajames
    ahajames Posts: 8 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

    Yeah that's the one mate. Im now awaiting them to specify where in the original agreement it states if I don't proceed to appeal a judgement then my claim automatically ends and I lose the ATE protection. Hoping it's just scare tactics to encourage as many people into the appeal as they can.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.