We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Co-op Packaged Bank Account
Hello all.
I'm a packaged bank account refugee from First Direct. I'm plumping for the Co-op Everyday Extra account as it's MSE recommended, cheapest and best matches First Directory.
I need the Co-op account as a joint account to cover us both - does that mean I would need to switch a joint account over in order to get the switching bonus? We need to keep our FD joint account.
Apologies for what is almost certainly a stupid question - I've never switched before and never even considered such a thing with a joint account, so I'm completely clueless.
Thanks all!
Comments
-
You can't do a 'full' switch (the sort needed to get switch bonuses) on any account and keep it - the doner account is always closed.
Do you have any sole accounts at first direct? Could switch one of those to Co-op for a bonus (taking note of the direct debit requirements) and then add the second person to make a joint account.
If you have no sole accounts at first direct you could consider opening one (or two) just for switching. first direct might take the huff though.
Hope you've noticed that the current Co-op switch offer ends 17Aug26.
2 -
Of course I managed to leave vital information out….
I've got a spare sole current account (at another bank) that I was planning to switch, but I assumed that it being a sole account would mean I couldn't open a joint one at the Co-op. But if I can switch my sole over to another sole and then simply add my partner then that'll work nicely.
Hadn't noticed the end date, but the other T&Cs I have seen - thank you.
0 -
You can switch a sole account to a joint one using the switching service, but not the other way round.
1 -
Ooh, interesting! I'm now looking at the application page - do I apply for a joint right off the bat, then switch a sole in afterwards?
0 -
That sounds a good idea. You need/want the benefits that hang off this account, get any niggles or stoppers out of the way first then worry about the switch bonus after (notwithstanding the expiry date).
1 -
I'm not familiar with Co-op's own procedures for opening joint accounts but was merely observing that a sole to joint switch is permitted by the switching service.
2 -
Thanks both. It was very simple in the end - I was able to apply for the joint account and switch my sole account in at the same time. I had no idea it could be so simple!
Thanks again for your help.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

