We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Can't register with making tax digital

Is anyone else not able to register for making tax digital?


I definitely have to register. I am not exempt.

I've downloaded the bridging software and it requires me to register on the hmrc page with MTD but it simply won't let me. And my only option is to sign out. There is no link to a help page or anything.


I rang hmrc who took my details and sent my message on. I had a call back this morning and they couldn't help either! The response ultimately was to take a note of their name so I can dispute any penalties I'm going to accrue. They said that there is no dedicated help team or help number for MTD.

So I'm stuck!


Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

  • sherlock228
    sherlock228 Posts: 182 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper

    try different bridging software?

  • thetoothfairy
    thetoothfairy Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    thanks both


    I'll have a see if there is different bridging software I can try - and will keep records and screenshots too - good idea 🙂

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Does your provider have a video or cheat sheet talking you through how to do it?

    I remember messing it up the first time I tried. I can't remember why but I had missed something obvious and it worked OK when I tried again a few days later (pausing the video every few seconds to make sure I was on track).

    Your provider might also have a help desk which could see if there are any obvious issues with how you are doing it. Or maybe issues they have had with other clients.

  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 48,012 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    The other 'obvious' thing to try is using a different browser, or even a different device!

    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • thetoothfairy
    thetoothfairy Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    thanks both - I'll have a go at those ideas tomorrow

  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    No advice on this directly, but I have had issues when copying and pasting things. Some sites are very particular and if you paste in a rogue space it will be rejected. Sometimes the whole page is not accepted without indicating which field contains an error.

  • UKTaxHelper
    UKTaxHelper Posts: 79 Forumite
    10 Posts

    A dead end where the only option is to sign out is usually the Government Gateway ID rather than the software. The bridging tool sends you to HMRC to authorise it against the account that actually holds your Self Assessment enrolment, so if you are signed in with a different ID to the one your return sits under there is nothing for it to attach to, and it just stops without telling you why. Worth checking which Gateway ID your Self Assessment is under and trying again with that one.

  • One thing worth adding for peace of mind on the penalty side: for the first year of MTD for Income Tax (2026-27) HMRC has confirmed there are no late submission penalty points for the quarterly updates. So you are not clocking up penalties while you get the login sorted. The digital record keeping requirement itself still applies, so keep your income and expense records up to date, but the quarterly update timing has a soft landing this first year.

    On the registration itself, UKTaxHelper is spot on - that sign out dead end is nearly always a Government Gateway ID mismatch. The software authorises against whichever Gateway account holds your Self Assessment, so if you are logged in under a different ID there is nothing for it to attach to and it just stops. Worth checking which ID your SA sits under and trying again with that one.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.