We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Is the Nationwide app any good?

How do rate the Nationwide app, is it any good?

Is the Nationwide app any good? 42 votes

Yes, I use it as my main account
47%
libra10rokedluciSonOfPearlfiendishlycleverjools1985Money_Grabber13579LensTadleyBaggieOrandasparklymarklyalanjones60Clare43welshechoPurpleheartborn_againAyr_Ragehpas251Woodstok2000Renfrewman 20 votes
Yes, good enough for a secondary account
42%
Swipemacy08EarthBoypramsay13fly-catchersenthusiasticsaverAnagranNasqueronMaiTaiflaneurs_lobsterkaMeloMC2021danny13579Middle_of_the_Roadsteven141Kestrel_Patrolfaj15clairec666 18 votes
No, but I use it with reservations
9%
ThePiratesRob5342j813ysfriolento 4 votes
No it's useless, I wouldn't use it
0%

Comments

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,132 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    Yes, I use it as my main account

    It does what it needs to do for me.

    Life in the slow lane
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 3,124 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 6 August at 11:40AM
    No, but I use it with reservations

    It works, but it's hopelessly old fashioned and way behind what most other banking apps offer. None of your options really fit my view, I'd use it for something simple like a savings account if they had a good rate, but never for a current account as it lacks even the most rudimentary features like payment notifications. I think they try and make the user interface look up to date but don't put any effort into updating anything that goes on behind the scenes.

    It probably seems ok if it's all you've used, but if you've used another app, especially Monzo or Starling then you can see how much better it could be.

  • ThePirates
    ThePirates Posts: 497 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    No, but I use it with reservations

    Not enough choices on the vote!

    I use Nationwide as my main account, but no the app isn't good enough.

  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 4,330 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    No, but I use it with reservations

    It's not so much the app but the benefits that draw me to a specific provider. Granted, there is the Nationwide Fairer Share but I can get that without doing much banking with them.

    The app isn't brilliant but it does the main jobs - receiving money, making payments. It can hold its own amongst other banking apps, despite not having fancy features you can get with some of the challenger banks, and which may or may not be of interest.

  • danny13579
    danny13579 Posts: 1,885 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Yes, good enough for a secondary account

    Nationwide is a secondary account for me. I really only use it from January to March for the Fairer Share.

    I've never had any issues with the app. It may be a bit dated and lack the bells and whistles of other banks' apps but once I can move money in and out, that's all I need. On the rare chance that I get a cheque I can use one of my other banking apps to cash it.

  • M4rkOne97One
    M4rkOne97One Posts: 77 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    I've been with Nationwide for about 16 years now as my main account. I've used mule account(s) to switch between the various other banks for their bonuses. The Nationwide App isn't the best around, but it does exactly what I need it for. It's an easy £100pa to get the fairer sharer bonus. Especially as I've now switched between all the other banks offering switch bonuses.

  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,753 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    It's a secondary account for me, but I'd be quite happy with the app for my main account(s). I preferred the old layout where all my accounts fitted on the home screen and I didn't have to scroll, but I haven't found any other limitations with it.

  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 16,384 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Yes, good enough for a secondary account

    It is a secondary account for me. The only issue I find with it is that I cannot see my mums accounts on there for which I am power of attorney. Yorkshire app is much better for that.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Save £12k in 2026 Challenge £12000/£10,000
    365 day 1p Challenge 2026 £667.95/£600.31
    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 4,330 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    No, but I use it with reservations

    I've used mule account(s)

    I don't think you have 😅

    image.png
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.