We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How to fit Bosch Windcreen wipers with built in spoiler/deflector

MouldyOldDough
MouldyOldDough Posts: 3,400
1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
Forumite

Does the spoiler go under the wiper blade or above it ?

The design of the new blades does not show on Bosch instructions…..


If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.

Comments

  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 2,948
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    The spoiler goes on top - blade against the screen, spoiler furthest away from the screen, if that makes sense.

  • MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 3,400
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 4 August at 1:55PM

    I have fitted it the only way that it will go on - with the spoiler at the bottom nearest the bonnet

    I don't think that it will go on any other way …. but I agree that it looks as if the wind (when driving) will force the blade up the screen

    the instructions are sadly lacking - the picture is too vague !

    maybe I should have paid Halfords to fit them ?


    If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 2,948
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Wiper blades are really not difficult to change - usually it's just a case of swapping like-for-like. Many brands have a QR code on the box to show you how to do it, or else there's bound to be a YouTube video somewhere.

    Really, don't pay Halfords unless you have to. Sure, their fitting service can be helpful for some things, but wiper-blades? It really is basic car maintenance.

    Have you got a friend or neighbour who could help you?

  • MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 3,400
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 6 August at 11:53AM

    If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 8,617
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Wiper blades are terrible things to change. Plugging in a USB plug on the back of a computer where you can't see is easy by comparison.

    There are two ways up they could go. The wiper arm could also go two sides of the pivot point on the blade.

    Then, when you open the box, a whole bunch of adaptors will fall out. If you're lucky, one will fit your car. But nothing will tell you which one it is or how to fit it. Sometimes, none of them fit and you have to pry the adaptor off the old blade without breaking it, and hope it's compatible with the new one.

    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 3,400
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 7 August at 2:49PM

    no optional adapters - came with it - it was "designed" for my car ! and as far as I can make out - with the blade against the glass (preferable I believe) - and the spoiler at the bottom - there is only one way that the blade can be mounted.

    The Wife has tested it and is happy - ……. phew !


    If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,959
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 7 August at 6:19PM

    Or you could buy the finest wiper blades on the market from Valeo Silencio's dedicated eBay site at much less than Bosch prices and they fit perfectly in a matter of moments.

    Delivery next day usually too.

  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 3,386
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Silly question, are they the right blades for your car.

    I ordered a set off eBay and parts checker said they fitted, yes they did, but for a left hand drive car.

    So were back to front and upside down, so double check yours.

  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,959
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Yes, I too had that problem with Continental ones, but these Valeo Silencio ones are perfect.

    They are a French company but they are definitely RHD.

    They're the best blades I've had in many years.

    Not only are they very quiet, they don't skip or judder at all.

  • MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 3,400
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 8 August at 3:28PM

    Yes they are - the car is a Suzuki Baleno (2017) - the set is

    Bosch SuperPlus Spoiler SP21/18S

    I was wondering whether the spoiler could have been taken off and refitted upside down somehow - but it appears to be solidly fitted to the arm


    If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.