We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Obscured Road Signs
Comments
-
Yes,
I'd have thought @oldagetraveller1 would have had a valid defence that the change in limit had not been adequately conveyed if the terminal sign was completely obscured by trees?
I may be wrong but i thought even restricted roads with a system of street lighting still needed 30mph terminal signs.
"… The P.C. agreed that the sign was not visible…" I'd have been complaining to the Central ticket Office that the prosecutuin should never have gone ahead if the PC carrying out the speed check knew the terminal signs were obscured by trees. Shouldn't he have scrapped the session until the offending branches were removed?
0 -
Tell that to the judge…. Mark one eyeballs are the only thing you can rely on.👍
Life in the slow lane0 -
The lamp-posts do not have to be the same distance apart. But they must not be more than 200 yards apart.
0 -
On a speed awareness course some years back - I was told that there should always be 2 signs for a limit change and the limit changes when you cross the line joining them.
Satnav guidance assumes the database is updated on a regular basis - which I suspect you'd have to pay a subscription for - and wouldn't be a defence if you got caught. If you have a car that looks for the signs, that's not 100% reliable either.
On the original topic… I saw some half-hidden direction signs last week in North Norfolk which would have been awkward if I didn't have the satnav as backup.
I need to think of something new here...0 -
That's what I meant.
0 -
I suspect the "two signs" requirement was changed in the 2016 Regulations, which also abolished the maximum distance between repeater signs.
0 -
I once saw a sign saying EMUS 8. Thankfully Rod Hull or Emus were not present 8 miles later.
0 -
Sat-Navs need to be regularly updated, otherwise they are worse than useless.
Tom-Tom an Garmin updates are generally free for live.
0 -
I'd have thought @oldagetraveller1 would have had a valid defence that the change in limit had not been adequately conveyed if the terminal sign was completely obscured by trees ?
Very possibly. But he obviously did not plead "not guilty" (which you cannot do by letter).
Most of the prescriptive measures for speed limit signs were indeed abolished. The limit now has to be "adequately conveyed".
0 -
The one near me some people try and use as a rat run has arrows on the street lights on both sides clearly pointing in the direction of travel along with massive no entry signs at the bottom
Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness:
People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


