We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

FTB - broker issues

Please don't judge. I'm a FTB but also on "the spectrum" and this whole thing has been massively overwhelming.

I'm a FTB and looking to solo buy the shared ownership house I'm renting a room in (yes that's ok for the owner to do before anyone asks).

I got sucked up in a whirlwind and everything has moved so fast and I'm not sure what's happening.

The broker is someone affiliated with the agent and I just went with it, but this person has not provided me written info of my mortgage/rent details a month into talks despite me asking… I've sent all of my statements, credit checks etc and they still are asking for more in depth info and harassing me for things I can't provide yet. This is work info - I'm awaiting a response to prove my earnings as my salary changed since starting and my payslips "don't make sense". They and the agent are contacting me DAILY when I've told them it can take a week to get a reply from HR and I'll send it as soon as I get it.

I got sent a form to fill in by the HA and the broker said they'd fill it in. I now have another and the broker is refusing to tell me how to do it. Saying I can't buy more shares via staircasing until the house is worth more, still not giving me written proof of my mortgage offer, and I've also been randomly told I've been allocated a solicitor - but no one can tell me the name of them!

Can anyone advise on how I go about this whole thing? Can I change broker at this point? I don't even know if they're offering the best deal and, as I don't have it in writing, I'm not convinced. They also told me not to get another quote as it will affect my credit rating - now wondering how true this is!

I've not paid a penny to anyone yet.

Again, please don't judge, I've really no clue what I'm doing as I didn't expect my house to be for sale or to be in a position to buy and this has moved so damn fast. I'd really appreciate any advice.

Comments

  • TroubledTarts
    TroubledTarts Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 3 August at 8:10AM

    If it's all going too fast then yes put the brakes on until you are confident everything is above board.

    If saying this makes your broker and agent apply more pressure on you then something could be wrong so don't react to their pressure.

    Request all the details and paperwork available for review and be sure of what you are signing up to and at what stage of the process you are at.

  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 13,118 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    If they are still requesting information then it doesn't sound like they have a mortgage approved yet so there may not be any paperwork or figures to give you just yet.

    Try to calm down and tell them you need more time.

  • whizzywoo
    whizzywoo Posts: 838 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Do you have a friend or family member who has purchased a house in the past? Maybe talk to them and see if they can help with things.

    "All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  :) 
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 39,514 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 3 August at 11:17AM

    FWIW this is what is going out on our emails at present;-

    PLEASE NOTE, DUE TO MORTGAGE RATE VOLATILITY WE WILL MAKE FINAL LENDER & PRODUCT RECOMMENDATIONS ONLY WHEN WE HAVE ALL SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS AND ARE ABLE TO SUBMIT THE APPLICATION ON THAT DAY.

    However, this is the end of an email where we are providing example illustrations which at least snapshot current rates and costs and in which we request permission to do an agreement in principle.

    Shared ownership is an added complication in the mortgage process as the HA/RSL is required to decide on the purchase and appropriate share before a mortgage application can be submitted.

    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • silver17
    silver17 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    Thanks all for your input, and sorry for the late reply.

    Re the mortgage person, they're not even willing to put in an email what the suggested offer was or who it was with - this is not normal, surely? It doesn't have to be the official document, but obviously I need to know what the offer is? I am now being asked to give DD forms for the rental part but I'm not giving them approval until I know what the amounts and lender are?

    Am I allowed to go to another broker/advisor at this point? I feel like there may be better options out there and I was sucked into going with the agent's preferred broker which doesn't sit ok with me anyway. I literally didn't speak to anyone else as this was such a whirlwind.

    Is it normal to be "allocated" a solicitor? At this early stage, am I within my rights to find my own one (I don't think they even allocated one)?

  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 19,694 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    You choose your own solicitor. Do not be tempted to use one "suggested" by the EA.

    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I would try a whole of market broker. Then choose your own sol

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.