We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Friend to enter into a joint venture, do up my house, split profits

24

Comments

  • mlz1413
    mlz1413 Posts: 3,212 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Yep. Which is why I said 'via a legal agreement'.

    I didn't list the pitfalls because it's not clear what OP will do.

    I think everything about the options the OP is listing are fraught with dangers! Selling your house for half it's value with the hope it will be done up and you see some money afterwards is about on a par with being a LL in the current climate!!

  • sherlock228
    sherlock228 Posts: 179 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 2 August at 4:02PM

    for CGT purposes please clarify:
    its been a rental for 20 years … I've lived there for 17 years out of 22

    Those statements are incompatible.

    Gut feeling (guess) selling half "now" would lock you into current tax rates (likely to change?)
    28% now compared to (assumed) 40% rate in future - you say you are high risk, some would see having to appreciate by an additional 12% just to stand still as being high risk!

  • snickpan
    snickpan Posts: 193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper

    I was holding my breath for this reply! I had lodgers, it became an HMO, I had the top floor then moved out.

  • _Penny_Dreadful
    _Penny_Dreadful Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I’m with @eddddy, I’m curious what renovations your friend is planning to do that will increase the value by £140,000.

    To get that size of increase he’d need to be making the property larger with an extension or a well thought out an executed loft extension. Simply tarting the place up and perhaps installing a new kitchen and bathrooms isn’t going to lead to that kind of gain.

    You mention your friend had successfully done up two flats. My guess is that any gain is due to the local market, not his DIY and interior decoration skills.

  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    What is the £1k/month for? Rent? His share of the house?

    Why not just get a value now and an agreement that he gets the difference between that and the selling price in exchange for doing the renovation? That keeps it pretty simple and reduces your risk. You'd probably want to factor in cost of materials somewhere - is he paying for that out of his profit? Are you splitting it?

  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 4,274 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    OP, if I'm right, you are planning to allow your friend to renovate your £560k house over possibly the next 2 years with the hopes of gaining a sale price of £700k minus his costs. Even at only £50k costs, the profit will be £90k, which is £45k each. If you sold for £560k now, and stuck that money in various investment accounts, you'd gain that much over 2 years without the hassle (minus your CGT of course). If he was my good friend, I'd be tempted to either offer to sell it to him for £500k now, or just sell on open market.

  • snickpan
    snickpan Posts: 193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper

    good point, although he is funding the renovations himself, so he's suggesting I could clear £70k

  • snickpan
    snickpan Posts: 193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper

    the £1k is 'compensation', or a stand in for the interest that I would have got per month, if I'd sold half the house to him. He's funding renovations himself

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.