We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Fixed term annuity

2»

Comments

  • RogerPensionGuy
    RogerPensionGuy Posts: 984 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    This post & comment is one I find so true in my experience, so many friends and colleagues just don't appear interested at all in pensions or even simple investments or even just using a ISA, but they can be good at moaning saying it was their fault they made errors even school children could understand and avoid.

    I guess it's a societal thing, they don't understand and appear they don't want to even pick up the basics.

    I've always been more interested in finiance that most I know and I've learned so much on this site and especially on pensions plus other investments like ISAs and gilts.

    A general big big thanks to all posters.

    Cheers Roger.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,628 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    The forum is a kind of feedback loop- Apart from a few Professionals who are/have been involved in the sector, we are all largely learning from each other ( and the input from the Professionals of course) . Although opinions can differ on Govt Policy, how to handle retirement spending etc. it is still good to have the info than not.

    My OH is still largely in the dark about personal finance ( although not completely), despite many attempts to 'educate', which do not go down too well….. Although one offspring takes more interest, which is good.

  • Organgrinder
    Organgrinder Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    As someone who works in education, I find the lack of financial awareness scary and I'm talking as much about my colleagues as the young people I teach.

    I think for many people, especially in sectors like teaching, having a pension that they don't need to think about only makes matters worse.

    Anyway, on the subject of fixed term annuities. For covering a short term need I think they are certainly an option worth considering. Extremely low risk for a relatively good return.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.