We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Fixed term annuity

Good morning

I am about to start drawing on the smallest of the three pension pots I have. I am currently 63 and out of work since redundancy last year.

Generally, we are OK for money with 3.5 years to go until state pension age. I was about to move forward with an income drawdown arrangement on the smallest of my 3 pension pots. After talking to Pension Wise (which made my head hurt due to the complexity of the information supplied), I used the provided link and used their annuity calculator to check this option. I was surprised that the annuity figures were better then expected, on a fixed term basis to see me through to my state pension.

I had always thought of an annuity as being a poor choice, due to being 'locked in' after it is set up. However, I am now rethinking this.

How do you all feel about annuities atm? Apart from functioning to provide me with the monthly payouts I require, I do like the idea of the extra peace of mind an annuity might give. I find the whole situation with pensions/IFA's/retirement planning extremely stressful. It feels like I am moving forward into a minefield which may blow up on me at any moment :-) ! Any comments you may have about my annuity plan would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

«1

Comments

  • Tree_pipe99
    Tree_pipe99 Posts: 62 Forumite
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    I do think a good retirement plan needs an element of low/zero risk income.

    If annuity rates are good then they are an excellent way to de-risk a DC pension pot.

    I'm fortunate to have a DB pension as my main income, otherwise I would be looking at an annuity for my DC pension.

  • mrklaw
    mrklaw Posts: 413 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    if literally a 3-4 year annuity I’d also look at gilts which its likely similar to what the annuity providers are using. might be much of a muchness and the annuity may be simpler, but worth checking.

    also for a short period just estimate with a calculator if you put it all in cash/MMF earning maybe 3.5% inside the pension and just drew 25% a year how much would that give you.

    I do think for such a short period and if you think you need to spend the entire amount down, it should at least be invested almost/fully in stable assets like gilts/MMF or similar

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,691 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 1 August at 11:24AM

    You are talking about a fixed term annuity for 3.5 years so it is going to give you a very high income (especially if the money is all gone by the end of the 3.5 years). When I was looking at a lifetime annuity a few years ago I got quotes for a level 5 year fixed term annuity which were breathtaking.

    You may want to look at lifetime annuities as well and see how they compare (a lot lower income but it will last for the rest of your life not just 3.5 years).

    You can also get fixed term annuities which leave a pot of money at the end of the fixed term which can be used to buy another annuity. Again that gives you a lower income. But it may counter the "I'm locked in" concern.

    Of course if you are just looking for a way to cover the 3.5 years until SPA then it will do the trick and give you some peace of mind compared to drawdown. No need to worry about "the market" moving around.

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,864 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 2 August at 11:18AM

    How do you all feel about annuities atm?

    They're near their recent peaks. And certainly viable again for those whose objectives they meet

    After talking to Pension Wise (which made my head hurt due to the complexity of the information supplied),

    PensionWise is very simplistic. It also doesn't cover all options. For some people, it will be quite valuable, but for other people it's a complete waste of time.

     I find the whole situation with pensions/IFA's/retirement planning extremely stressful.

    Using an IFA should take the stress away. They pretty much recommend what you should be doing. An FA, on the other hand, will throw a lot of the choices back towards you.

    It feels like I am moving forward into a minefield which may blow up on me at any moment 

    You sound like a perfect annuity buyer. Given the alternative is to remain invested, if the annuity and its simplicity and straightforwardness gives you concerns, then goodness knows what investing does.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • chrispies2020
    chrispies2020 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    I think, in terms of being stressed out by the whole process of managing pension savings, I would say I'm one of the more clued up and least anxious people I know, personally :-)

    If you really enjoy this sort of thing and have a solid grasp on what the best course is, then it may not be clear just how difficult decisions regarding important matters such as life savings and pensions can be. I know at least one other person who suffers from extreme anxiety when it comes to making good choices, because the path forward is so potentially complex and opaque.

    I suppose this is just capitalism at play. It often seems to be a lottery where money can be made and then lost, depending on the level of knowledge individuals have and the overall risky nature of the path we all have to walk.

    Regardless, thanks for your comments. You have helped me to make what I hope is a good choice :-)

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,403 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper

    So which is it? @dunstonh

    Using an IFA should take the stress away. They pretty much recommend what you should be doing. An IFA, on the other hand, will throw a lot of the choices back towards you.

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,864 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 2 August at 2:28PM

    I spotted it just as before you typed this and I corrected it. Obviously wasn't quick enough. ;)

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,628 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    If you really enjoy this sort of thing and have a solid grasp on what the best course is, then it may not be clear just how difficult decisions regarding important matters such as life savings and pensions can be

    Yes some people on these forums sometimes forget that outside these walls, the level of ignorance about personal finances is quite frightening and the whole subject very daunting. One problem being that many people struggle with relatively simple concepts like percentages and averages. Many also just avoid thinking about it, which of course does not help.

  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Have to concur with this assessment of the general populace.

    In any gathering of friends, acquaintances and relations, the extent of financial illiteracy and general lack of desire to engage can be very depressing.

  • fcjf
    fcjf Posts: 108 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Whenever I have previously brought up the subject of pensions or personal finance with friends I have literally seen them roll their eyes and move away. Since taking early retirement at 57 a couple months ago the level of interest has increased.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.