We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Every time I get a quote for my modest DB pension - it has gone down.
Comments
-
To the OP.
Reference taking it at age 55, can I ask how far away is age 55 from your age today?
One item that popped in my head, I think RPI for pensions and stuff is mostly changing to CPIH in 2030ish and IIRC this is something like 0.5% below RPI, so this change will be just another watering down we will mostly just soak up.
Cheers Roger.
2 -
Hi there. I have just recently turned 55. I have asked for a quite a cpl months on from now
0 -
I was referring to scheme pension age, sorry should have been clearer
"You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "0 -
It sounds like perhaps the early retirement reduction factors have been updated. If they had changed from 4%pa per annum to 5% pa (say) and you're retiring 10 years early (55 to 65) then that 1% pa difference could lead to a 10% reduction over 10 years.
0 -
I’ve just checked my figures on pension point, it looks like they have up dated the early retirement reduction factors, I screenshot shot a couple of quotes a while back ….I’ve re run the same dates and mine have reduced to the amount I was expecting.0 -
My background is annuities, so post buyout pensions, for us 99% of early retirement calcs are done on a cost neutral basis. Therefore calculate the net present value of your payments based on normal retirement age and then backwardly solve what starting pension value achieves the same net present value for early/late retirement.
Calculations are done using various tables/assumptions - longevity, longevity improvements, inflation, discounting etc. These are all reviewed fairly frequently, for example the two longevity pair were looked at quarterly, discounting monthly etc and so impacts can be fairly material over a relatively short period of time which is why quotes normally have a 1 month duration.Pensions in principle can do the same, some prefer to simply matters and have a single standard discount rate thats reviewed periodically where as some are closer to insurers who may vary rates more frequently and at a more granular level than a single whole scheme rate.
Some pension schemes operated on a subsidised basis, so early retirement may be planned to give you more money overall but these more generous options are often subject to trustee approval as clearly they dont want to bankrupt the scheme by subsidising too many early retirements now.
2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
