We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Health Insurance Pay Monthly

I am considering getting health insurance as I've seen too many of my friends and family wait absolutely ages for healthcare on the NHS.

I am in the middle of getting a Mortage. I have the mortgage offer, but the exchange and contracts etc are still ages away and I'm away the bank will do another check then.

With car insurance, I know the monthly payments are classed as a loan with a hard search and it goes on your credit file.

Is that the same with health insurance with monthly payments? I really don't want this impacting the mortgage at all.

Comments

  • Isthisforreal99
    Isthisforreal99 Posts: 1,490 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Yes, any insurance paid monthly generally involves a loan to finance monthly payments which will appear on your credit report.

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,254 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    If there is a hard search or an entry on your credit record will depend very much on who you are buying from… big insurers that self fund the credit are less likely, brokers that use a finance house for the loan are the most likely to but its a spectrum with lots of shades of grey and outliers.

    My Home insurance (Aviva) and Private Medical Insurance (BUPA) do not appear on my credit report and did not do a hard search (or a soft search). Home was a new business quote but PMI was a renewal and some may take different actions on renewals than new business.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.