We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:
Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour.
Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
First registration-Land Registry- Help
Hi
I would be so grateful if anyone has legal knowledge or personal experience re this topic.
My dad died a few months ago and we are just getting round to putting his property on the market. Awaiting probate and know we can't proceed without it, but market is so slow I'm sure we'll have it by the time anyone makes an offer.
Gathering deeds and papers etc, I've discovered that the property is not registered with the land registry, not surprising as parents lived there for 50 years.
I'm trying to get a solicitor lined up and ready for when we have a sale, and also need them to vary the will next year, so have been exchanging emails with a couple to get quotes etc.
I have had two directly opposing pieces of advice, issued quite firmly, and so I'm going to ask on here if anyone can give me any insight.
Solicitor1 strongly suggests we apply now to do first registration of the property either as executors or as individuals ( me and sibling) as says many purchasers and or mortgage companies will shy away from an unregistered property.
Solicitor 2 would firmly advise us to wait until we have a sale and try and get the new owners to register it, or at least register it ourselves then, as this can be expedited under a Memorandum of Sale and can be done in a few weeks. Otherwise he suggests it could take months or even YEARS to do without a sale.
So, 2 lots of opposing professional advice...what's best?
Comments
-
there is an official Land Registry representative who frequents this forum woh may have some advice
Calling @Land_Registry
1 -
While waiting for the LR rep to find this thread,
may illustrate some of the points of view.
Legally, I think either route is viable.
1 -
As posted either route is viable so no wrong advice given and doubtless given on the solicitor's own experience re similar cases previously.
I recognise the first scenario in modern times whilst the second one was often the way when more properties were unregistered and solicitors, and more importantly, lenders had a different view as to the perceived risks associated with unregistered properties.
My advice nowadays is that once you have probate and you have all the deeds apply to have it registered first. If you find a buyer you can then request expedite to reduce any remaining wait time. Such applications don't take years to complete but can wait 9 months on (current) average before processing starts. And processing is often done same day. But if there's an issue with the quality of the application as a whole and we need more then the wait time can be extended by a few months.
In both cases the option to expedite exists if there's a buyer and current odds are that a buyer with a mortgage will find the lender insisting it's registered before they complete.
“Official Company Representative
I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"0 -
@Land_Registry thank you so much for answering. I'm afraid I have a few more questions if you are able to advise further.
- If we start the process of first registration now as you have recommended then can we do this as executors of my father's will. Neither of us want to get into the issues of theoretically owning a second property and being possibly liable for CGT for example.
- If we get a buyer in the next month or so, is the application for expediting sure to be accepted, and can a sale go through if the property is not registered or in limbo?
Appreciate the help.
0 -
There is no reason why anyone should be running scared of an unregistered property so long as all the documentation needed for the First Reg is in order. That aspect is something that the buyer's solicitor will check in the course of the transaction, but yours will also be wanting to make sure of it too to avoid any unnecessary enquiries and/or pitfalls later in the transaction.
If you did go through the process of registering once you have a buyer, then I would be astonished if the expedite application was not accepted on that basis. Generally once an expedite is in place things more very fast indeed - I'd be surprised if it didn't outstrip the rest of the conveyancing process!
🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00 at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
Balance as at 31/08/24 = £105,400.00 at 31/12/24 = £102,500.00
£100k barrier broken 1/4/25
Balance as at 31/08/25 = £ 95,450.00 at 31/12/25 = £ 91,100.00
Balance as at 31/08/26 = £ 84,500.00
SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculatorshe/her1 -
If there is a confirmed linked and dependent transaction, which is what a sale/purchase would be, then expedition is not going to be refused.
It's not generally an issue of being 'scared' re unregistered titles/property but a simple case of the modern ways and computer algorithms where certain mortgage products, not all but many, enforce the risk-profile lenders associate with unregistered over registered properties.
Too easy to suggest 'computer says No' but in essence that's what happens but the lender has still decided on the algorithm for products A, B and C for example to help streamline the mortgage product/offer process.
Far better, in you scenario and in my view based solely on the experience of dealing with others in similar scenarios and what they have chosen to do, to get probate and then look at registering yourselves in your roles as personal reps/executors. Your conveyancer can advise you on what that means in wider terms especially re multiple home ownership and tax
We deal with the outcome of such option consideration and decision-making so are not the ones to say you should do one or the other.
“Official Company Representative
I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"1 -
Thank you everyone for your comments. We've decided to apply for 1st registration as soon as the probate comes through.
Seems like the most sensible way forward.
2 -
If you have the deeds along with a pile of conveyancing documents demonstrating a clear line of ownership, it is not that difficult to do the first registration yourself.
I had to do a (compulsory) first registration when I took over the family estate. Various solicitors & conveyancing outfits were quoting £600 or more (~10 years ago) plus disbursements - They were wanting to do a full gamut of searches which I considered totally unnecessary. Sorted out the documents in chronological order, filled out the forms, and submitted the paperwork. Only cost to me was the Land Registry fees.
Any language construct that forces such insanity in this case should be abandoned without regrets. –
Erik Aronesty, 2014
Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.2K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.8K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


