We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

ESA reviews back log

Hi, thankfully I've just had my pip claim extended to 2029 which means i'm not stressing out about the review assessment. However i was due a review for new style esa in February this year. I haven't heard anything from them and I don't know how long the back logs are or if its made on a case by case basis. It is an unknown I get really stressed by. Does anyone have any knowledge or experiences could share?

Current debt approximately -6000
Goal- Zero debt by mid 2029
Savings to date- zero 
Emergency fund- 505

Comments

  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 11,201 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    I don't have definitive knowledge of what the current situation is but unlike PIP, ESA is an ongoing award and doesn't have any set end date. It only changes if you are reassessed and the outcome is anything other than the Support Group. So although it's normal to worry when you've no idea when a reassessment will happen, you don't need to worry about it being done by any kind of deadline until you get the forms through. Nothing will happen if they don't reassess you, your claim won't stop.

    If it makes you feel better to do something you could draft answers for if you were to get the forms through soon, but only if it would make you feel better. I don't think I've heard of people being reassessed within the recommended timeframe even before there was a giant backlog.

  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 7,117 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic

    I've always looked at WCA the quicker I get assessed, the quicker the next one comes, so always thankful for as much delay as possible.

    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,634 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I though most people on ESA have ( or will ) migrate to UC anyway ?

  • ET22
    ET22 Posts: 276 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I do get UC too but moving it to UC instead seems the easiest thing to do. I get 3 different benefits and pip is not a fit for purpose assessment as far as I’m concerned.

    Current debt approximately -6000
    Goal- Zero debt by mid 2029
    Savings to date- zero 
    Emergency fund- 505
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 7,117 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    edited 29 July at 12:50PM

    Only income related ESA moved over to UC and that's been completed .
    Contribution ESA, now called New Style ESA still exists.

    Let's Be Careful Out There
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.