We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Need advice: Issue with my previous car insurer regarding NCD

MESWEB
MESWEB Posts: 1 Newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of a problem with my previous car insurance provider. When I bought my car insurance back in 2024, I used price comparison websites. Unfortunately, the old details on my profile, such as my No Claims Discount (NCD) years, remained unchanged. Silly me assumed that this information just updates automatically every year.

Last year, I switched to a new insurer, and I have just renewed my policy with them again. Now, my current insurer is asking me to provide proof of my NCD.

The problem is that my NCD history currently looks like this:

  1. 2021 - Hasting direct 1 year NCD
  2. 2022 - Aviva 2 years NCD
  3. 2023 - Aviva 3 years NCD
  4. 2024 - LV 2 years NCD
  5. 2025 - Aviva 3 years NCD
  6. 2026 - Aviva 4 years NCD

I have proof of NCD for all the previous years. When renewing my policy with Aviva, I declared that I have 5 years of NCD because that is the truth. However, the problem lies with LV, who claim I only have 2 years of NCD.

I have never made a claim, so I should rightfully have 5 years. I suspect that incorrect data was passed through the comparison site when getting a quote, and I simply failed to update my NCD details at the time. Now I am trying to sort this out and contacted LV to correct my NCD years, but they replied that they cannot do it.

Is there any way to fix this and get a correct proof of my 5 years NCD?

Comments

  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 2,626 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    The time to have corrected this was 2024, when the move from Aviva to LV "lost" 2 years - from 4 down to 2 at the end of the policy, so they credited you with 1 not 3 at inception.

    Surely, though, going by your history as listed there, Aviva are happy to provide documentary evidence of 4 years, now, in 2026?
    Why are LV even being asked for your change from Aviva to <different insurer>?

    You only need to provide the most recent proof, so your 2026 Aviva renewal.

    If you'd verified the information in 2024, you'd now have 6yrs. But some insurers regard 5 as the max. Others go up to 9.

    What's the actual % or £ difference, anyway…? Smaller than you'd think, almost certainly.

  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 8,614 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    It doesn't matter what you "rightfully" have. What you have is what's on your latest insurance renewal notice, or other correspondence from your last insurer.

    There is no right to an NCD. Insurance companies offer it as an incentive for good drivers. But I have had a policy in the past that didn't do NCDs at all. It was a fixed price for all qualifying drivers.

    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Altior
    Altior Posts: 2,146 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 28 July at 9:33AM

    Isn't the issue that the OP said he had 5 years at renewal, but Aviva have only given 4 years. Unsurprisingly, they are asking for proof of 5, as it doesn't match their records, since they issued the 4 at the end of the previous policy! I suppose it's possible from Aviva's perspective that the OP was also accumulating NCD via a different route.

    I don't see a method of reverse engineering it personally, as you declared the incorrect NCD when generating the quote. The best outcome I suspect is to drop back to 4 and ensure your current insurance is valid.

  • paul_c123
    paul_c123 Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    If LV have been contacted and can't do it, I suspect its the end of the road. I believe most claims don't result in a complete wiping out of NCB, rather they -2 years off it. So even if Aviva retrospectively looked back and took account of the year you went elsewhere, they many not assume the 2 year discrepancy was an admin error but a true reflection of the "NCB Earned" over the period of interest.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.